Author Topic: "avast! needs to restart your operating system: message  (Read 5162 times)

Dirigo

"avast! needs to restart your operating system: message
« on: February 25, 2004, 11:06:21 PM »
Howdie!

I'm curious as to why the message "avast! needs to restart your operating system" is displayed when ... no actual connection has been established successfully  between the pull-push software components, i.e., avast! software on my system and its attempt to establish a connection to the various servers and their software  over on your side of the pond.

It seems, not always, but often enough, that when no actual connection has been established, say while avast! is attempting to update the virus definition database or do whatever else is going on behind the scenes, a Summary box with a message saying something like "unable to connect ..." and the length of time, I assume, avast! tried to connect will be displayed.  Then within a few seconds or so, the "avast! needs to restart your operating system" message will be displayed.  I would think that action would only be necessary in rare events ... obviously, not even, after a virus definition database has been updated.

Hopefully I've made myself reasonably clear in what I have described.  

Any comments?

Thanks in advance

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:"avast! needs to restart your operating system: message
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 02:14:38 AM »
Dirigo:

1. The first atempt to connect could fail (the server is down for a while) and immediatly after you can connect and the update is done.
2. The virus database update won't ask for reboot.

How can you be sure that no connection were succesfull established?
The best things in life are free.