Author Topic: Problem with Avast Self/Auto Update  (Read 2698 times)

Born To Be Wild

Problem with Avast Self/Auto Update
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:41:59 AM »
Dear Avast Support,
I have a problem. I'm not sure what's wrong. I have Avast version 6.0.1466 (Windows XP)
Issue started after avast false positive detected some file/process.
I knew this is a legit process, so I opened user avast interface and I restored the file from the chest.
Then I put it to exclusions on behavior shield and file system shield. Then I noticed in the settings options that the 1st action avast takes when detecting something is to put it to virus chest so I set the shields settings that the first action to be ASK and when it fails then CHEST. So far so good. I closed avast user interface. However, then I had to use Windows System Restore Tool because somehow process stopped to work on windows startup. So I restored system and I changed avast settings once again because after the restore old settings were back.
Ok. it finally fixed it. No longer that problem.
But here it is the actual problem that occurs after that.
(I don't know if it's related to that previous issue or to windows restore (but that was only 2 days back) or to something else.)

After windows restart avast updates itself to version 7 though automatic program update is set to off (manual) even after that update when I check the settings it's set to manual.
So why? Ok. I used then Windows System Restore Tool again to get me to previous Restore Point... yes, it took me back to previous state and Avast 6 so far so good... but after turning off computer and windows restart bah! Avast again updates itself to version 7
(it also installs some browser plugins) note that when it occurs the computer is offline so it has files for version 7 already there.
How can I make sure that when I restore my system avast will not update itself again after computer restart?
I really like to stay with version 6 there. If I will like to update I will do it but for now I would like back avast 6.
I would be grateful for some advice, thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:43:51 AM by Born To Be Wild »

P-chu

Re: Problem with Avast Self/Auto Update
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
Mind you, I'm a newbie too, and I have no experience with this problem.

You could try going to "c:\Documents and Settings\{your Windows Username}\Local Settings\Temp" folder, and delete anything in there that is associated with Avast. This could solve the auto install of Avast7 if Avast actually stores its update/upgrade install files in the Temp folder.

If you don't know your Windows Username, then type the following in the address bar of My_Computer/Windows_Explorer:
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp
It is actually safe to delete anything in this Temp folder as long as it is not actively being used by a program (Windows will not allow you to anyway).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:24:17 AM by P-chu »

iroc9555

Re: Problem with Avast Self/Auto Update
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 01:43:05 AM »
Avast! does not like Windows Restore. To avoid any inconvenience doing so it is recommended to deactivate Avast! defence module first.

Here is a safe site where you can download Avast! 6 if it is needed.
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

There is nothing wrong with Avast! 8 and Windows XP. As you can see in my sig it is what I am running.