Author Topic: Questions about avast 8 and recommendations  (Read 6228 times)

LunarWolf

Questions about avast 8 and recommendations
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
I know that you can install over or use the built in updater but is it better to remove version 7 and then install version 8 as I think version 8 have changes in the engine or is alright to use the built in updater?

Second, please update the FAQs on the support page. Is still showing version 7. Other companies update their Support section when they release new version.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Questions about avast 8 and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
With a version change I always uninstall and then do a clean install

happytonamy

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »
Avast 8 is terrible.  Stick with 7 and don't go to the new version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
Why not? There are millions of v8 happy users! :)
The best things in life are free.

Fred S

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
I am upset over Avast 8 adding features that are available to users not only for free but with intallation upon demand instead of being built-into Avast 8.

I refer to Chrome, Software Updater, Remote Connection (before Avast 8), etc. If these things are going to come with the installer then the installer MUST  provide the option to pass on these items if so desired - that's just responsible programming.

While it is nice to have some newer features, my experience with many recent reviews of Avast shows that Avast should be spending more time on dealing with Virus protection, virus removal, and speed. Nearly all technical journals and Magazine reviewers like Avast but note its deficiencies and where more attention is needed.

I've stopped a number of modules in recent versions of Avast and have had to do it for many machines/users. It bothers that  more and more "extra stuff" is being included while virus detection/repair/removal does not seem to be improved as it should be. Wouldn't it be nice to see reviews noting Avast at the top in "Performance" rather than "add-ons?"

Fred S

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
Avast is a protection suite not just an antivirus..  To make it an antivirus you would need to remove the following :

Web shield - that stops you from visiting a malicious/hacked site
Sandbox - that runs unknown programmes in a virtual environment to ensure that it is not malicious
Streaming updates - regular but small updates as new malware is found
Software updater - although this should really be called vulnerability protection, how many zero day infections are due to security flaws in Java, adobe etc.
Remote Assistance - this allows someone you know to assist in resolving your computer problems via the net
Browser Cleanup - to remove rubbish from your browser that redirect or alter your search engine/home page
Boot Scanner - the ability to run a scan prior to windows loading

Then you would have something similar to Avira, but Avast aims for prevention rather than cure and all of these  are strings to that bow.
I have actually asked for an additional module to monitor the system Host file, as the latest wave of adware subverts that.
There are very few true viruses nowadays like sality or other file infectors. Most are either data gatherers or click to pay malware (malicious software)   

If you look at this chart http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Aug12-Feb13-1200.jpg you will see that Avast free (the only one tested) compares very favourably with other solutions including paid suites, and is on par with Kaspersky 

Modules that are not in use do not consume any system resources I do not use P2P or IM software, yet I have not removed them in my system as the overhead is nil

In my opinion and I am in no way beholden to Avast, this is the best free protection that you can get
All antiviruses  both free and paid will not catch all the malware out there as the malware writers are always one step ahead, as before you can detect something you must know what it is 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:05:27 PM by essexboy »

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Why not? There are millions of v8 happy users! :)
On the other hand there were already millions of v7 happy users :D (now , more or less ?)

However , I'm 6 years old happy AIS pay user (3 PC) , always with v8 but I don't want Avast deviate from their main use.

Like Fred S says , I would like avast spending time for "performance" rather than "add-ons"

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
Software updater - although this should really be called vulnerability protection, how many zero day infections are due to security flaws in Java, adobe etc.

I hope nobody will have zero day infections due to security flaws in Flashplayer because they full trust avast software updater (2 days delay) ;)

So the Fred words sound right to my mind , if avast want to be a full security suite , they have to offer blameless tools on final version and lets addons on bêta
other ex:wrong IE version , firefox appear/disapear
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:11:24 PM by chris05 »

LunarWolf

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 02:42:51 AM »
How come avast team did not update the support center yet? It still shows version 7? I already PM vlk to update it. But there is no reply from him. The support center still shows version 7.

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 02:49:45 AM »
How come avast team did not update the support center yet? It still shows version 7? I already PM vlk to update it. But there is no reply from him. The support center still shows version 7.

he does not answer personal message PM
send the email only  :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:55:48 AM by jefferson santiag »