Author Topic: Avast updates while in game :(.  (Read 5300 times)

Echa4361

Avast updates while in game :(.
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
Hello avast! i have been using avast for some time now yes i am a paid user.
the problem i am having is avast internet security doing updates while i am in a game and it lags really bad my ping go to 999 making game unplayable.
Leaving me to jump out of game and turn off steaming updates.
Then when i am done to turn it back on can you please add a gaming mode for gaming users.
I will hate to have to leave avast for this simple problem.
I am sure other users have the same problem 

Proof of payment from email
Thank you for your purchase from our online store, operated by element 5.
Your new license for avast! Internet Security 5.0 (3 PCs, 2 years) is
attached.
Screen shots
http://tinyurl.com/8fjgzzn
or copy and paste http://tinyurl.com/8fjgzzn
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:07:59 PM by Echa4361 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast updates while in game :(.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »
Have you actually got it set to gaming mode, avastUI, Settings, Silent/Gaming mode ?
Though this is related to avast messages/pop-ups/alerts, etc. the update would possibly still occur in the background.

The streaming updates should be very small mostly 1KB up to around 25KB, whilst these are more frequent (6 so far today) than the regular auto updates they are much smaller. Recently we have seen virus definitions auto updates as high as 900KB (which is unusually high), so I wonder if it isn't the VPS auto updates not the streaming updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Echa4361

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
Have you actually got it set to gaming mode, avastUI, Settings, Silent/Gaming mode ?
Though this is related to avast messages/pop-ups/alerts, etc. the update would possibly still occur in the background.

The streaming updates should be very small mostly 1KB up to around 25KB, whilst these are more frequent (6 so far today) than the regular auto updates they are much smaller. Recently we have seen virus definitions auto updates as high as 900KB (which is unusually high), so I wonder if it isn't the VPS auto updates not the streaming updates.
Yes i have set it to gaming mode been set to gaming mode forever we just need it to do updates when we are not in a game that will be fine with me. I don't have the best internet to be doing updates while in game. I think a gaming mode silent should not do updates at all when in a game as you can see in the screen shot  i have updates turned off right now leaving me at risk but i take that chance and yes i did get a virus from having it turn off and forgot to turn it back on almost lost everything but lucky i recover from it avast was no help for it as it was disabled by the virus. this is a must have so i can play my games in peace on my day off from work today
And i know it's the avast updates making my ping 999 when i leave game and check it says last update attempted 10 mins ago and i play for hours on end soon as i turn it off my ping drops back to 105
thank you for taking the time to help me
-echa4361

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »

<Snip>

And i know it's the avast updates making my ping 999 when i leave game and check it says last update attempted 10 mins ago and i play for hours on end soon as i turn it off my ping drops back to 105
thank you for taking the time to help me
-echa4361

That is bearing out my assumption that it it the virus definitions auto update and not the streaming updates. Given that you have the AIS version, you actually have a shorter auto update check than the free version. The default update check delay for the free version is 240 minutes, I believe the paid versions have a default of 60 minutes (but can be set lower 15 minutes I believe).

So I think that it may be this shorter update check delay that is possibly the issue, if an update is available then it would download it. I would suggest that you check the AvastUI, Settings, Updates, Details, Auto-update interval and set that to a higher interval. I would also suggest doing a manual update prior to starting gaming as that would then effectively reset the delay having just checked.

Personally I don't think that setting it to Silent/Gaming mode should disable updates, for the very reason that you gave:
Quote from: Echa4361
i have updates turned off right now leaving me at risk but i take that chance and yes i did get a virus from having it turn off and forgot to turn it back on almost lost everything
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
Silent/Gaming mode is only for popups and messages.
It does not change the automatic updates settings.
The best things in life are free.

Echa4361

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:26:30 AM »
Ok that sounds good, i am stuck in the mud here this is a error.
I know it do not seem like much to you guys, but for all the gamers it's a big deal.
Don't get me wrong i love Avast! deeply and will never leave.
I just want to be able to play my games in peace.
I do updates before i go in game, but the game mode i play last's about 2 hour's+.
I know you guy's trying to keep me safe from viruses, but i want to be happy and safe.
So i guess there is no real fix for this even if the file is small it still jumps my ping 999.
Making gaming imposable for me guess i will have to lay off my games and play it safe and keep auto updates on :(.
Thank you guys for trying.

-Echa4361

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:52:17 AM »
Echa, the programmers are always trying to improve the update priority to not affect other computer activities... but, you know, not all the times they win the game.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:12 AM »
I know it do not seem like much to you guys, but for all the gamers it's a big deal.
I do updates before i go in game, but the game mode i play last's about 2 hour's+.
I know you guy's trying to keep me safe from viruses, but i want to be happy and safe.
So i guess there is no real fix for this even if the file is small it still jumps my ping 999.
Making gaming imposable for me guess i will have to lay off my games and play it safe and keep auto updates on :(.

-Echa4361

As I mentioned in my last post increase the auto update check delay to something over your normal gaming session (say 180 minutes) and do as you have check for updates prior to starting the gaming session.

Echa4361

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:35:06 AM »

-Echa4361

As I mentioned in my last post increase the auto update check delay to something over your normal gaming session (say 180 minutes) and do as you have check for updates prior to starting the gaming session.
Oh i am sorry i missed that everything is now A ok thank you so much DavidR and the other that tried 8) to help i am very happy now happy and safe ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.