Author Topic: Panda online scanner is a scam!  (Read 7343 times)

Lancerdad34

Panda online scanner is a scam!
« on: January 20, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I saw a thread on here where someone recomended panda's scanner because they got the windows 7 2012 security virus.  Well my daughter got it on her notebook so I thought I'd try panda's online scan.  It said it found a whole lot of threats and tells you to click a link to see how to remove them.  All that does is take you to there site and ask you to pay $13.99 for the software to "fix" the virus's! They are no better than the crooks that put out the windows security virus!  Malwarebytes cleaned everyting off and it's free.

Brian in MI

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Panda online scanner is a scam!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
Why, dear user, do you think we here are on avast?
This is just one of the disadvantages of free av scanners. Yes some only scan and won't disinfect until you decide to buy the product. Nice marketing scheme isn't it?
Online scanners do not perform when you do not have a stable internet connection, some malware may cause just that. Some smart malware may cause that the scanner won't start unless you rename the executable for instance. Sometimes you have to switch to a particular browser and install activeX before the scanner can run at all. In your case the Panda online scanner can find infections, but does not offer the removal of the malware that is being detected.
Have avast in combination with MBAM and SAS free anti malware and your will be good to go,

polonus 
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
Panda also have free AV....they also have free rescue disk and free USB vaccine   ;)

as with avast, they also need food on the table.....so everything cant be free   ::)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:45:56 PM by Pondus »

Lancerdad34

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:47:37 AM »
I do not mind a company making money but not in a deceptive way like that!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:53:34 AM »
well....it is usually in the writing....sometimes very small writing   ;)

but if you look on the right side, it say * A free report about threats detected
http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

it does not say anything about cleaning...

but yes they could have changed that to * will not clean, only produce a report  or * malware cleaning only for paying customers

DonZ63

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 01:00:50 AM »
ask you to pay $13.99 for the software to "fix" the virus's
I guess cost is relative here. $13.99 is a hell of a lot cheaper than what iYogi, Norton's tech support, or a host of others will charge. Hopefully, the Panda software will fix the problem without screwing up your installation which usually happens when the aforementioned start remotely mucking around in your system.

BTW - Prevx does the same thing in it's trial version, only scan and inform but not remove. Ay least in Prevx's case, you can buy a low cost short term license(or used to be able to) which will remove the malware.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 01:08:44 AM »
Hi DonZ63,

I know about people that come to visit you and charge you 60 bucks to perform a Hitman Pro run on your laptop,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »
But there is a good alternative here in this forum, called Essexboy....and he is free   ;)

and you also have  Majorgeeks / Bleepingcomputer / Geeks to go / Malwarebytes forum.....all free

OBS: I also think Panda online scanner detect tracking cookies.....?
so you should run something like ATF cleaner or CCleaner first.....so you dont pay for cookie removal if that is whats detected    ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:24:55 AM by Pondus »

DonZ63

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »
Hi DonZ63,

I know about people that come to visit you and charge you 60 bucks to perform a Hitman Pro run on your laptop,

polonus
So do I. I recommend people always keep a bucket of water by their front door. When these hucksters show up, just open the door and throw the bucket of water on them. If they don't get the message "they are all wet" after that they never will. ;D

Dch48

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:24 PM »
It's not just online or door to door. I just read a report where they were testing retail computer repair operations. They took a new computer that was working perfectly and just unplugged the fan. They then took it to the Geek Squad in the local Best Buy to be checked out and fixed. The "techs" there informed them that it would cost $100 to remove the "virus" that was causing the problem.