Author Topic: Is there a conflict with Avast Free and Zonealarm Pro  (Read 6544 times)

dwarren2

Is there a conflict with Avast Free and Zonealarm Pro
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
All of a sudden, I'm having problems.  First, a couple weeks ago my laptop would not boot.  Took it to a shop.  They removed both Avast and Zonealarm Pro and problem solved.  I reinstalled Avast Free and no problem.  Then my desktop computer started locking up.  Turned off ZAP and no problem with locking up and a tremendous increase in speed.  Laptop is XP Pro and desktop is XP Home.  Both had the most current version of both programs.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:30:04 PM by dwarren2 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Is there a conflict with Avast Free and Zonealarm Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
I would drop ZA.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Joe S

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 01:59:36 AM »
I gave up on ZA years ago it turned into bloated up crap and was a constant pain to keep tweaked so network worked.
Joe

dwarren2

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Is there anything better or than Winblows firewall?  I'm always behind a router.  I just added a Toshiba laptop with Windblows 7 to my collection.

ANHTHU5991

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:23:09 AM »

yes, there are conflicts between avast and zone alarm, but this has been solved in the latest version of avast. What is your avast version?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:26:40 AM »
Anything better?
In my personal opinion:

Comodo
Online Armour
OutPost Free Security Suite
The best things in life are free.

dwarren2

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:07:20 AM »
I'm out of town right now.  I'll be home late tomorrow.  But as far as I know it's the most current version.  This problem did not start after an upgrades far as I know.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
If you don't already have Avast Version 6.0.1091:
Free:  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe installed, this may help with ZA issues. 

However there have been many ZA FW issues in the past.  So it is up to you what you want to do, and confirm which version of Avast you actually have installed on your machine once you return home.  If you have the version stated above and still have issues, then I would recommend that you try one of the other FW's stated in this thread as a trial first.  Make sure you uninstall ZA per the vendors uninstaller tool and reboot your machine first prior to installing the new FW.

Let us know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »
yes, there are conflicts between avast and zone alarm, but this has been solved in the latest version of avast. What is your avast version?

Yes this is related to XP, avast and ZA, so should benefit dwarren2 on his XP systems.

That said there have been conflicts in the past with ZA and more so with ZA Pro, normally relating to its Privacy function and the web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dwarren2

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »
If you don't already have Avast Version 6.0.1091:
Free:  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe installed, this may help with ZA issues. 

Now home. It is 6.0.1000.  Does Avast Pro Suite have a firewall and does it integrate better than ZAP?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
Now home. It is 6.0.1000.  Does Avast Pro Suite have a firewall and does it integrate better than ZAP?
yes absolutely........since it is integrated   ;D

http://www.avast.com/en-no/internet-security#tab4

dwarren2

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:37:26 AM »
Just installed the update and things seem to be running very well.  Speed of computer is much faster.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »
Just installed the update and things seem to be running very well.  Speed of computer is much faster.

Good. :)
Thanks for the feedback..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 08:45:44 AM »
Glad to hear things are running better for you.  Enjoy your new product.  Please let us know if you have any further questions.

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.  :)