Author Topic: Avast Main program error  (Read 3218 times)

Hammey

Avast Main program error
« on: April 28, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
Hi I downloaded the free version of avast yesterday the new version. If I try and open the main program to do a scan it runs a error and has to shut down. I can only open the main avast program if I am connected to the net then it works fine when I boot avast starts fine and shows its active on the task bar but as soon as you go to use the program it runs the error and shuts down connecting to the net and restarting avast gets it all running again. Any ideas 

Thank You

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Main program error
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
what antivirus did you have before avast?
have you uninstalled it? (only install one AV)
have you removed any leftover from that program with a uninstall tool ?
you can find one here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

run avast repair and reboot

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:55:22 PM by Pondus »

Hammey

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
Hi yes the pc had avast 4.8 on it i removed it used the clean tool installed the new version. The first install it ran the no start error I thought ok maybe it did not install properly so i did a repair on it still same problem. I then removed it cleaned again and reinstalled still same proplem. The main program will only run if the pc is connected to the net. I have never had a problem with avast before this free version was put on a customers pc they do not have money so i used the free version for them.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
and what was on the computer before avast 4.8 ?
what type of computer is it ? HP / Dell ?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
computers that comes with preinstalled AV usually have Norton or McAfee,
so if you don`t no what i would just try to run the uninstall tool for both
it may work...or not.....but then at least you have tried that....

Hammey

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
Hi well its a customers pc I am a pc tech have been since 1990 its a old p4 The only reason i changed from 4.8 was there key ran out 4.8 worked fine. I have just not seen this happen before. If it works when its connected to the net it seems to me the program is looking for a internet connection before it works, to bring up the ad for the pro version as you dont get that ad when you are not connected. I dont see it being any other av on the system as the system was cleaned and yes you should only use one av program. So if the main avast interface works fine when the pc is connected to the net but does not work when not connected I dont see it being a previous av program or any program.I also cleaned the pc with malwarebytes before I installed the new avast.