Author Topic: Avast 5: Cannot access Avast folder in Registry  (Read 8447 times)

esource

Avast 5: Cannot access Avast folder in Registry
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:36:26 AM »
I installed Avast5 Free over Avast4.8 Free on a laptop running XP SP3, and found some strange registry entries via a registry cleaner. I uninstalled Avast5 and found many files/registry entries still there. I subsequently used the Avast Uninstall Utility to delete most of these. However, I also discovered that I could not access the registry folder HKLM\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast – nor could I delete it. The error message is “Cannot delete Avast: Error while deleting key.”

I tried to reinstall Avast5 thinking that the Avast! Self-defense Module might be to blame, but it failed with the last log entry to the effect “Cannot open HKLM\SW\ALWIL\Avast”.

Catch22: I haven't fully uninstalled it, nor can I reinstall it – because of no access to the Avast registry entry!

As Administrator, if I right click the Avast registry folder in Regedit/Regedt32/RegeditX, under Permissions there is a Security tab with no Group or User names, nor any ticks in the Permissions boxes: Full Control, Read, and Special Permissions. Clicking Advanced shows a Permissions tab with no Permission entries, an Auditing tab with no entries, an Owner tab showing Administrator as the Current owner of this item, and an Effective Permissions tab with no Group or User name and no ticks in the various boxes under Effective Permissions.

Incidentally, both regedit.exe and regedt32.exe appear to be Microsoft Registry Editor Version 5.1!

So, any ideas on how to delete/unprotect this redundant registry item that appears to be access-protected?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Avast 5: Cannot access Avast folder in Registry
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:39:34 AM »
Did you try this in safe mode?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »
Won't the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility do the job?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »
Won't the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility do the job?

He said he has used it.
But maybe he did not change to safe mode whilst doing so.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15:05 PM »
registry problem? ??? reg edit come out when the original reg been delete ::)
i think he need to fix his registry ??? maybe he need the help of combofix master. and im not that one ;D :-X

esource

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »
Thanks guys - you put me on the right track!
I had run Avast Uninstall Utility in Safe mode which did not clear up the registry.
However, I just went back into Safe mode and r-clicked permissions on ALWIL Software, ticking the Inherit from parent box in Advanced/Permissions. This added Group or user names at the Avast folder level, also ticked the Full Control and  Read boxes. I was then able to delete this folder- and ALWIL.
All done
Many Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »
I suggest now an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

esource

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
Also, per MS:
Regedt32.exe
In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program that just runs Regedit.exe.
You learn something every day!
Tx