Author Topic: Chrome not working after updating to 2014.9.0.2018  (Read 8828 times)

obssd1958

Chrome not working after updating to 2014.9.0.2018
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:02:06 AM »
I updated to 2018 last Friday, and Chrome has not been able to connect to the internet since the system came up from the reboot.
XP running Avast Free
IE8 seems to be working fine (yes, I know it's not safe anymore, but what do you do when Chrome quits working?), as does my mail client.
Chrome will launch, but never displays the page it is directed to, and eventually puts up a pop-up saying that the page is loading too slow - with the options to "kill page" or "wait". The wait button works (but the page still never loads) but the "kill page" button does nothing. Settings is not accessible, because all of that is accessed through the web!
I have:
uninstalled Chrome through the add/remove programs route
re-installed Chrome via the link on the Avast home page
Run a full scan using Avast - no virus detected
Run a full scan using Malwarebytes - detected 4 PUPs from MindSpark - quarantined and deleted successfully
Called Avast's "phone" support, turned over access to my computer, watched impotently while the "tech" rifled through my program files, my temp files "you have way too many of these and that's a sign that you probably have a virus", told me that the files in Avast's quarantine on my computer (files transferred to quarantine in '09, '10, '11 and '12), show that someone has access to my computer --- and then told me that for only $179 I could have one of the other techs get on my system and fix all my issues!!
I politely declined, and thus ended the help.
Never mentioned the Chrome issue--------------

Is there anyone here who has any ideas that might bring my Chrome back to life??

Thanks!

Don

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Chrome not working after updating to 2014.9.0.2018
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:31 AM »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

obssd1958

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
Did you go here? Re: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/113910?hl=en

polonus

Yes.

1.  Using Incognito mode didn't change anything. Pages still don't load.

2.  The only error message I get is : Page(s) Unresponsive     "The following page(s) have become unresponsive. You can wait for them to become responsive or kill them." And as I said above, the kill button does not work, but the wait button does.

3.  Windows firewall is enabled and nothing on it has changed. Just now, I put Google Chrome in the exceptions list and tried launching it again - pages still won't load. Avast's web shield is active, but I did try de-activating it to see if that would allow Chrome to function - no help.

4.  I can't get into Chrome's settings menu to change anything, because it is all web based, and I cannot access the web through Chrome!

5.  See my original post for info on the malware scans.

I appreciate your help polonus. While it's possible that my issues are not related to the Avast update, 30 years of troubleshooting has taught me to always look hardest at the last change made before things stopped working correctly.

What can we try next?

Don

obssd1958

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
Hello???

obssd1958

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »
Is anyone else having this problem? Is there someone who has any ideas what I can do to get Chrome working again??

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 10:54:25 PM »
What other security software do you have?

FWIW Chrome works here.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

obssd1958

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:16:05 AM »
I have Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, McShield, and Windows Security Essentials.
The last two things I did before Chrome quit working, was allow Avast to update to 2018, and reboot the computer to allow it to finish the update.
I have also tried getting Chrome to work by turning off Avast's web shield and Window's firewall - still no joy!

obssd1958

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
I am going to assume, by the sound of the crickets, that no one else has this problem.

I am still hopeful that someone here has some suggestions that might get me back to Chrome and let me quit using IE8!

Thanks in advance!

obssd1958

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 05:43:14 AM »
Still nothing??

I'm now using Firefox, but it would be nice to at least be able to know why Chrome quit working.

Thanks!!

srome

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
Just out of interest why do you have so much Security software on your system some of which does the same job:

Avast
Security Essentials
McShield
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes

Just as an experiment I would remove it all then do fresh installs of just Avast and Malwarebytes I'm sure some of this
must be conflicting with each other, if you really want them all installed, after you have installed Avast and Malwarebytes
try adding the others one at a time after each install test you system to see if its works ok.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
The one thing I would do is to disable MSE. Microsoft even recommends the use of a third party antivirus. And it presents a conflict.
http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

As far as the other security software you have they all play well with avast.
Just be sure Super Anti-Spyware is "on-demand" only and not resident due to possible conflicts.

Here is what I have; avast free, Comodo Firewall w/D+, MalwareBytes Premium, Super Anti-Spyware (on-demand), MCShield.

@ srome Everything is okay as long as SAS is "not" resident. And not any of them do the "exact" same thing.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.