Author Topic: Problems with 7.0.1456  (Read 2816 times)

orogenicman

Problems with 7.0.1456
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »
I am new to the forums, but not to Avast, having used it nearly since it first came out.  For the most part I have been very satisfied with the product, though there have been ocassional glitches. That said, the roll out for 7.0.1456, at least for me, but apparently for others, has been, let's say, less that optimal.

I use Windows 7, fully updated.  I use Zonealarm pro version 10.0.250.000 together with Avast to protect my Gigabyte/AMD Quad core system.  This morning when I turned my cmputer on I received a message on the 1456 update, and dutifully updated the program.  When it was finished updating, I immediately noticed that the web shield was diabled.  When I tried to enable it on the Avast console on the Summary tab, I noticed that it gave me an ad to update to Avast Internet Security, and didn't actually fix the Web shield.  I figured that I might have to reboot, so I did., 

When I restarted Windows, it appeared that the Web Shield and all the other shields were working.  Unfortunately, when I launched IE9, it crashed, giving me the dialogue "Windows is looking for a solution".  Of course, it couldn't find a solution, and relaunched IE9, with the exact same result, until I manually closed the program.  I Launched Chrome, and it too would not properly start up.  So I Disabled the Avast Web Rep, and that let IE9 launch, but it would not access the internet.  So I disabled the Web Shield and that allowed me to access the internet.

So now I have 1456 running but without WebRep or the WebShield running in order to access the internet, and also noticed that an Avast emergency thingy was in my task manager, which makes me a bit nervous because I don't like uninvited back doors on my computer.

So I have a few questions and a comment.  First, what can I do to resolve the problem? Am I going to have to use this update without the WebRep and Web Shield, or is there a fix?  If it is the latter, I find that to be an unacceptable solution, and will likely be looking to replace Avast with something else.  Which brings me to my comment.  I've been an avid Avast user for years, and have been mostly satisified with the product, and have encouraged many family and friends to use it.  So when I see a roll out on an update that has been as disastrous as this one apparently has been, naturally, I become a bit unconfortable using the product, particularly if a product appears to require the installation of a backdoor onto one's computer in order for the company to cover for the fact that their product is broken so they can quietly install a fix without one's knowledge or permission.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Problems with 7.0.1456
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:49 AM »
There is a known issue with webrep and the crashing of the IE9 browser when opening multiple tabs, will be fixed in next program update.

As for zonealarm you may need to delet all avast processes from it and reboot for new processes to be created and set to allow all.

orogenicman

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Craig.  I tried that and IE9 will still not work when real time shields are on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »
So even if you uninstall the WebRep for IE in the avastUI, Additional Protection, Browser Protection, Internet Explorer, Uninstall and restart IE it doesn't work ?

Zone Alarm has form for blocking processes despite being allowed in the program control, that is why it is suggested you delete an entry for avastSvc.exe in ZA.

Reconnect using IE9 and ZA 'should' ask permission again ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security