Author Topic: Pop up screen keeps trying to make me install Google Chrome.  (Read 8251 times)

Ergates

Since upgrading to the latest version of Avast, I get a popup screen every time I boot up my computer saying something liie "please complete your installation".

Upon first updating to the new version, Google Chrome was stealth-installed without my consent. I have since uninstalled this totally unwanted application, but now I have to remember to untick the "install Google Chrome" and "use Google Chrome as your default browser" tickboxes on the popup screen every single time I boot up my PC.

I personally find this very annoying, and intrusive. I do not want Google Chrome, I do not wish to be reminded about Google Chrome and have absolutely no plans to use Google Chrome, as I am perfectly happy with my Firefox browser thanks very much.

I would like a method of disabling this popup reminder window if you please. As far as I am concerned, Avast is already fully installed..... however the application clearly regards itself as only partially installed unless I allow it to install Google Chrome.

Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Pop up screen keeps trying to make me install Google Chrome.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »

avoidz

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »
Same here. It's very annoying. I don't mind the ad - once - but not every time I boot up.

My avast5.ini shows the "ShowSetupOutro" value is 0 (zero) not 1, so why is the ad still being displayed?

PS. An update to version 7.0.1456 was just installed and needs a reboot to complete. Perhaps the ad will go away after that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:33:41 AM by avoidz »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
If that doesn't resolve it:
Please add "IgnoreSetupOutro=1" below "ShowSetupOutro" value in avast5.ini, this is a temporary solution until we release new program version. Thanks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

knitnweed

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
I tried both suggestions without clearing the problem.  Finally uninstalled Avast version 7 and reinstalled the 6 version, peace at last.  ~

avoidz

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
After the reboot the pop-up went away. No more Chrome pushes.