Author Topic: Re-Entering License Key after Program has been moved  (Read 3609 times)

DGJSR

Re-Entering License Key after Program has been moved
« on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:01 AM »
I have 4 computers with avast 4 Professional Edition.  I have had problems with Windows cramming their updates in my old computer to the point that I had to clear away some of my C drive in order to work through this problem.  Well, I must have done a dumb thing by moving my avast program that I purchased on May 1, 2009 and registered it.  I moved the program to another drive and tried to run the program and it asks for registration and won't accept the registration I used in May.  I have spent enough time on this this afternoon that I could have bought another update and moved on, but is it possible to run avast on another drive instead of the C drive? And is there a way to re-enter the License Key that I bought in May? javascript:void(0);

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Re-Entering License Key after Program has been moved
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:47:27 AM »
The same registration key should work, what errors are given ?

It is possible to run install avast on a different drive.

How did you move it to a different drive ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DGJSR

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 01:50:49 AM »
In the window with the Registration Box it says it is invalid.

DGJSR

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:06:08 AM »
I copied avast from the C drive to my other drive.  The Registration Key must have been lost in the transfer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 02:35:28 AM »
Copying from one drive to another just won't cut it as all the registry entries would be screwed up and this would I believe also include references to the previous key.

You should have done a clean reinstall and you are probably going to have difficulty doing that given what you have done already.

Download the latest pro version and save it to your HDD where you can find it again.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

All of the above may still have left where you copied avast to as there would be no reference to it in the registry so you may have to manually delete that location before installing avast again; then you can specify the new location you want it rather than in the C: drive.

You would then need the email that was sent to you with the registration key to enter it in the new installation.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:15:06 AM »
If I can just jump in, here, I have experience of doing the same sort of thing (different program) then working out why it wouldn't run.

You will probably need to delete the folder for Avast (Alwil) completely from where you copied it to. A program can not be "copied" to another drive; it needs to be installed to that drive.
(There are quite a few processes that are added during the install, including to the registry, the "documents and settings" folder, and others. Worst case scenario with me was I had to do a complete computer and registry search to remove the relevant entries for the program I'd tried to move in this fashion, before it would install correctly again.
If you have to do this, especially search for entries that include the path to the location you copied it to.)

Similar to what DavidR posted, slightly different words.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.