Author Topic: BSOD - screen flashes 0x0000007E, then continuously restarts  (Read 2844 times)

sleepycal

Hi,

Avast had been warning me about needing to update for the last few days. Every few days it will freeze about 30 seconds after booting up, then it'll need restarting and it'll work again. However on this occasion, it went into a never ending BSOD loop and I had to use a camera to record what the BSOD screen said as it would disappear so quickly.

After trying various solutions (BIOS reset, memory test, unplugging external devices etc), I went into safe mode and uninstalled Avast (as I remembered a similar problem from before). After uninstalling, the BSOD loop stopped.. I then reinstalled Avast and everything worked fine again.

Sadly, I can't tell you what version I was running as I forgot to do a version check before uninstalling - but I'm hoping that others might report the same issue, and that the developers might start to take it seriously.. or at the very least, others experiencing this problem will see this thread and know what to do.

The only thing I am running along side Avast which might cause issues are:

* TrueCrypt with Full Disk Encryption
* MalwareBytes Anti Malware

Avast is a beautiful product, but every few months the devs seem to release patches which quite clearly haven't been fully tested.

So hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Cal

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: BSOD - screen flashes 0x0000007E, then continuously restarts
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »
For every bluescreen, there should be a minidump created in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Do you have any recent files there?

sleepycal

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:00:07 AM »
Sadly no, the BSOD literally only appeared for about 0.5 seconds, and the Minidump folder is empty.

Although, I do have swap disabled on Windows, so this is probably why no Minidump was created.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:06:52 AM »
Although, I do have swap disabled on Windows, so this is probably why no Minidump was created.
Precisely. Without swap, no dumps.
The best things in life are free.