Author Topic: False positive  (Read 2062 times)

Bill Harris

False positive
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:27:42 AM »
I wrote it myself, I compiled it myself, it's a gui for the x264 video encoder, written in vb6. How do I tell avast it's good, leave it alone & let me run it?

iroc9555

Re: False positive
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 03:35:42 AM »
Bill welcome to Avast! forum.

Send file to virus@avast.com. Zip it and give it a password ( usually   " virus " ). In the mail text explain the situation and the password to the file. Meanwhile you can exclude it from shields and scans.

Bill Harris

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
You said "exclude it from shields and scans". That sounds like what I want to do, but how? And do I need to send the source code too?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »
Yes you should submit the sample to avast so that they can analyse it and correct the detection.

Add the full path to the file to the exclusions lists (see Note below):
File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add and
avastUI, Settings, Exclusions

Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the File System Shield and avast Settings, exclusions lists.

Note: When using the Browse button it only goes down to folder level accept that. Now open the entry in the exclusions and change the \* to \file_name.exe where file_name.exe is the file you want to exclude.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security