Author Topic: Avast not supported by Vista security centre  (Read 8690 times)

marloes

Avast not supported by Vista security centre
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »
Since today the Windows Vista security centre tells me that Avast (4.8 home) is working fine, but is not compatible with the security centre. It says that the way Avast reports its status to Windows Vista is not supported anymore. Why do I get this notification and how can I solve this problem?

ardvark

Re: Avast not supported by Vista security centre
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:43:32 AM »
Hi...

While I don't have an answer to your question, perhaps your issue would be best handled by a staff member at Alwil. Choose the e-mail address for general inquiries. :)

May God bless you :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:06:02 AM »
Actually, your version of Avast is out of date, being 4.8.1229.The indicated database version last updated in November.
Current program version is 4.8.1368, and the VPS (at time of posting) 100105-0.
Please manually update your program, then the VPS files.

I think the problem is possibly the way the security centre is notifying you of a problem. Maybe a German, sorry, Dutch language issue? Don't know, haven't come across this before.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

marloes

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:00:36 AM »
Thank you both very much! I checked for updates of course when the message occured, but Avast tells me there are no updates. At the moment I use: 4.8.1368 Vps: 100105-0. Indeed this is not the version shown by the security message. I do not know why it does not see the correct versions. Yesterday evening I posted a message for the Dutch Avast helpdesk. I hope they know what is wrong.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Often the Windows security centre gets confused and needs re-setting. This can be done by deleting the repository file, and rebooting. The repository will be rebuilt during reboot, hopefully that will solve it.
Here is a step by step guide. Look under "Rebuilding the WMI Repository" on that page.
[edit]
Those directions are not entirely clear. The file that should be deleted, once the WMI service is stopped, is the file "c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository"
Below is a better step-by step, you will need to show hidden and system files in "folder options" first.
1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.
Set them to Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area, to your desktop.
6. Right click Start, and choose Explore.
7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
Delete this subdirectory ONLY.(repository folder.)
Leave the others there.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (you might need to boot twice)

Essentially both directions achieve the same thing, using slightly different methods. Use the one you understand better.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:28:47 AM by Tarq57 »

marloes

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
I renamed the repository file by cmd. But now the security centre says there is no antivirus software installed on the computer. And Avast is still up to date and running!

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:50:41 PM »
I don't really know about resetting the repository, but you could try FixWin:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility
Zip Download: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloads/FixWin.zip

It claims to be able to simply fix the security centre issue...

I have tested it and it seems to reset the security centre, and some of the other features (that I tested) work.
If you want to try it, download the .zip, extract it and run as admin.

Choose 'system tools' on the left, and press 'Fix' next to 'Action Center and Windows Security Center.....' (like the pic)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »
I renamed the repository file by cmd. But now the security centre says there is no antivirus software installed on the computer. And Avast is still up to date and running!
Did you reboot after renaming?
I guess you followed the directions on the link, then?

marloes

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:57 PM »
Yes I did reboot and followed instructions I used before. When you gave this advise I was happy with it and remembered doing this before when I was solving some problems on a computer of a friend. Ik wondered why I did not think of it myself :-)! But untill now it did not solve this problem. Maybe I wil try the tool, but asume it will use the same action. I did not hear from the helpdesk yet unfortunately.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
Can you open services.msc and just check that the WMI service is running, and the Security centre service?
I'm grasping at straws a bit, sorry, don't really know how to proceed. Especially with Vista.

marloes

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate your help very much! WMI service en Security Centre Service are running.