Author Topic: OK, how do I get rid of...  (Read 6179 times)

REDACTED

OK, how do I get rid of...
« on: July 04, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
the alert icon on the systray Avast icon?

I do NOT want to upgrade, I am quite happy with the program version I already have!

What does "Resolve All" do?

Not happy, devs!

Gordon.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: OK, how do I get rid of...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »
You do not have to upgrade but you should "update" the later versions contain bug fixes and better protection.

Concerning the resolve all please post a screen shot, use the Attachments and other options below where you construct your post to attach images.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:32 AM »
Thanks CraigB -

I've attached a screenshot of the "Resolve" bit.  (Let's see if this works  :P )

I do understand the object of upgrading for all the reasons given, but I'm one of the old-school incorrigibles: I don't upgrade until it's crystal clear that further progress is impossible without it.  And even then I'm not quite convinced.  I work by an old proverb: "If it's not broke, don't fix it!"

Gordon.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:36:06 AM »
Ever thought AV's update for a reason? This isn't like some image editor that you like and it doesn't matter if it's from 15 years ago. AV's have to be constantly updated to be most effective. Don't see a single reason to stay on older versions.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Hi RejZor -

My problem right now is not that I should upgrade--and, as noted, I do appreciate the reasons--but that I now have an AV that says it cannot handle life (the popup should read "All is NOT good!"), and a puzzle about "Resolving" some unknown condition.

Either v9.0.2018 works, or it doesn't.  If it no longer works, shouldn't it say so?  And if it still does work, then why the alert on the systray icon?

What is going on?

Gordon.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
I guess resolve all is wording for fix all issues but unless there are other problems that require attention then I think it is out of place and unnecessary for that to be mentioned when there is already a link to update there as well.

As RejZoR said AV's need to be constantly updated to be most effective, no point staying on older versions and once the update is done it'll fix the tray icon alert.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Yes.

ATM I feel pushed around a bit, though thinking about it I was initially doubtful I should upgrade to .2018, as I could see all the discussion in terms of "Release Candidate".  I've never gone in for beta software (OK, I did use K-Meleon 2.5B3  :-* and loved every part of it  :-* ) simply because it is still under development.

And I'm not normally one who suffers being pushed around.

Is .2021 still RC with more work to be done, or is it now "STABLE"?  If it's now stable, I can update.  Otherwise I'll simply leave it until we have a stable version.

Gordon.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 02:08:56 PM »
2021 is a stable release which as you can see as is not in the beta section of the forum :) https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=151290.0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:10:50 PM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
Ummm...  I never looked in the beta section.  I saw the .2018 announcement in this main section.  Not that that said it was stable  ::)

Gordon.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
Version 2014.9.0.2021 seems quite stable and usable, though I've found it occasionally detects Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] false positives.  But Avast has actually been very responsive after they are reported so that the next update avoids the false positives.

If you install the latest release, make sure and look over all the extra fluffware tools they offer in the center column of features, and don't be afraid to uncheck those you don't know you need.  The shields are important, but the other stuff is perceived by some as less than useful.  The only one that I chose to use of the whole lot is the Software Updater.

Oh, and watch out for the attempts to install Google Chrome.  Read every dialog carefully.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 02:32:39 AM »
Hi NoelC -  You're right about the fluffware.  Attention to detail certainly is needed.  I have only the Rescue Disk, File System and Web Shield activated.  I certainly do not need any Mail Shield as I use Eudora 6.2 which is more than adequately protected by the File System Shield.  (I saw Outlook's catastrophe the hour I installed it to suss it out.  I deleted it the same hour, and have never used it again--and the amount of trouble-shooting I've done for "clients" is astounding!)

On .2018, it is stable in that it has not yet fallen over.  I actually meant stable as in needing only maintenance upgrades, not design/functionality development.  I do not need anything like the Status Board shown in my second post--the one about the "Resolve" button--and I don't need systray indicators that say "ATTENTION" when it should be saying "All good".

I have the clear feeling that I'm being unsubtly pressured into doing something, and I don't like it.

Right now I am seriously thinking of going back to v7 which never gave me any trouble.

Gordon.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 03:11:39 AM »
Can't say I've seen a big orange banner myself, but I generally keep it up to date.  Last year I had an issue after an upgrade where I had to uninstall and reinstall to make it work right, but nothing since worth mentioning.  Outside of very occasional false positives it's not giving me any trouble. 

I don't know what else you'd think it would need.  When does an anti-malware package NOT need ongoing development to keep up with the latest tech in malware?  But you might be practicing good habits and have other things configured (as I do) that keep Avast from being hit by real malware, in which case the safety net isn't your first line of defense.

-Noel
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:14:22 AM by NoelC »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:31 AM »
"Resolve all" button means it will fix all the listed problems. Which is in your case only outdated program version. If there were other issues, they'd also be listed and fixed if you'd click the "Resolve all" button.

The latest build changelog:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=151290.0

As you can see from the changelog, it's a bugfix update and thus, it will NOT change any functionality (add or remove any features), but is still highly recommended due to bugfixes. I can't see a single reason not to update. It's always so funny when users think they know it better than developers of a highly complex program. Just update the thing and be done with it. I've upgraded all 4 of my systems the moment update was released. Have been doing so for the last 10 years since avast! 4.1 in 2003 (i think). And never had a single issue with it.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »
Yah.  It's always so funny when the folks who built it wind up with something that's now worse than the original.

I'm not saying that the Avast devs are as bad as Redmond (no-one can be!), but there are ways to gently persuade us to upgrade.  Even Adobe isn't this anal!

One of the ways to persuade [especially me] to downgrade is to tell my copy to put up a big BROKEN sign, and THE NEW VERSION WILL FIX IT!!!!

it will NOT change any functionality (add or remove any features)
  Since I have not noticed any faults--I was wondering where the definitions update notifications were, but .2018 remembered it had to put them up, so all's well--I can't quite see the problem from Avast's Point of View.

It's when the app falls over that I start to look for upgrades.  OK, v7 was only a bit aged...  We all make mistakes.

Gordon.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »
If you haven't noticed the faults, it doesn't mean they aren't there...