Author Topic: aswrvrt freeze when booting XP  (Read 3755 times)

dennyspencer

aswrvrt freeze when booting XP
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
This is happening to more and more folks including me. My PC won't boot normally, and when I boot in safe mode, it stops at aswrvrt file then reboots repeatedly without starting windows. Please help...thanks

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: aswrvrt freeze when booting XP
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »
Have contacted a certified malware expert for you.  Please be patient as it may take a bit or two.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Tetsuo

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:04:34 PM »
Hello dennyspencer, unfortunately it's one of some well-known serious problems with XP OS, please check this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137732.0

Regards

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
This problem is generally not related to Avast unless windows reports that file as corrupt.  The normal cause is either:

• An infection that has changed the winlogon entry
  • A poorly removed Sirfef infection that did not reset the registry properly - a bad subsystem entry SubSystems\\Windows: (ServerDll=consrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3)
  • A shutdown that has corrupted the registry - fixed by running chkdsk /r from a command prompt
  • A second hard drive that stops the boot when it is activated - remove the cable from the second hard drive
  • The BIOS flipping to IDE instead of SATA - change back to SATA
  • Failing hard drive

When the boot stops windows will only show the last successfully loaded driver, so if Avast is removed then the driver displayed wil be the one prior to Avast loading .. Usually PnP

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
More likely as in the thread mentioned by Tesuo , the shutdown after the avast update that has corrupted the registry - Maybe fixed by running chkdsk /r from a command prompt as essexboy means.
But I'm not sure with a clean registry , it will not happen again with an other 2014 update.
Avast official words to reboot issue after update with xp:
We have finally found it. It was incompatability of unloading fss driver and some other our drivers. In about 4weeks we gonna release new version fixing also this problem.

However I can not say at 100% that the other points raised by essexboy are not true
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:01:41 PM by chris05 »

FinAnalyst

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
More likely as in the thread mentioned by Tesuo , the shutdown after the avast update that has corrupted the registry - Maybe fixed by running chkdsk /r from a command prompt as essexboy means.
But I'm not sure with a clean registry , it will not happen again with an other 2014 update.
Avast official words to reboot issue after update with xp:
We have finally found it. It was incompatability of unloading fss driver and some other our drivers. In about 4weeks we gonna release new version fixing also this problem.

However I can not say at 100% that the other points raised by essexboy are not true

My strong suspicion is that the issue on my Windows XP SP3 has something to do with loading, and maybe unloading, of drivers either on start-up or reboot.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=138794.msg1014465#msg1014465

Hopefully, this will be resolved, as mentioned above.

dennyspencer

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:19:39 AM »
Thanks for your advice. I can't even start in safe mode windows or prompt. The pc boots up in a loop after aswrvt.
How do I boot up so I can us chkdsk?

olddog

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 07:16:42 AM »
Thanks for your advice. I can't even start in safe mode windows or prompt. The pc boots up in a loop after aswrvt.

Edit: Post removed - file no longer available
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:20:24 AM by olddog »

olddog

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »

Edit: post removed - file no longer available

dennyspencer

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:30:08 AM »
Thanks everyone. I've figured out how to boot from CD and run chkdsk /r as instructed. All is fine and working again.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 01:09:09 PM »
Thanks everyone. I've figured out how to boot from CD and run chkdsk /r as instructed. All is fine and working again.
Happy to see your are right now.
Could you confirm it's still OK with avast 2014 ? Or you have to go back to v8 ?