Author Topic: Avast 9 2007 messes up my system  (Read 1555 times)

gotty

Avast 9 2007 messes up my system
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
As soon as I updated from (free versions) 8.0.1489 to 9.0.2007 I had all sorts of problems with my Win7 machine.

It took several attempts to reboot - then I found a couple of Java programs wouldn't work - a number of web sites just wouldn't load (or took an absolute age) - USB devices started playing up and my overnight backups kept failing.

After a few days I tried a full uninstall (using the uninstall utility) of 9 and reinstalled it, but had all the same problems so uninstalled and went back to 8 and everything has been sweetness and light ever since. All programs work, all web sites load just fine and my backups now work.

Two friends whose computers I remotely support have also had very similar problems, and they've been resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling v8 but I'm now looking around for something that doesn't produce so many unnecessary popups.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:49:56 AM by gotty »

SlyFox

Re: Avast 9 2007 messes up my system
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
As soon as I updated from (free versions) 8.0.1489 to 9.0.2007 I had all sorts of problems with my Win7 machine.

It took several attempts to reboot - then I found a couple of Java programs wouldn't work - a number of web sites just wouldn't load (or took an absolute age) - USB devices started playing up and my overnight backups kept failing.

After a few days I tried a full uninstall (using the uninstall utility) of 9 and reinstalled it, but had all the same problems so uninstalled and went back to 8 and everything has been sweetness and light ever since. All programs work, all web sites load just fine and my backups now work.

Two friends whose computers I remotely support have also had very similar problems, and they've been resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling v8 but I'm now looking around for something that doesn't produce so many unnecessary popups.

I am not connected to Avast, just another person who has their Internet Security installed on both of my computers. Perhaps I can help you with your questions.

I am sorry you had all of these issues.  You mentioned you updated from the free version 8.0.1489 to 9.0.2007.  I am sorry if I am reading your post wrong, but did you completely remove 8.0.1489 from your computer?  Using the uninstall utility, add and remove in your control panel, then using CCleaner to make sure ALL of your registry keys, etc has been completely removed from your computer.  Then download 9.0.2007.

Do you have any other Anti-Virus installed on your computer, please?  What other Security programs do you have installed that may or may not be causing conflict issues with Avast, please?

Even if you kept the 9.0.2007 version installed on your computer, there is a Repair option in the Add/Remove programs in your computer. 

Restart your PC.
Repair the avast! installation:
Click on "Start", find "Control Panel" and click on it. A new window will open.
In this window you should see the icon " ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" (or "Programs
and Features"). Then choose the "avast! Antivirus" and select "REPAIR".

Restart your PC again.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=106815.msg849639#msg849639

Thank You Miroslav Jansik for the above link to help this member solve the issues

**NOTE** When I find info on this forum written by Expert members, I will give them credit and thank them for posting what ever I use for other members in need of help.

Have any questions, please feel free to ask them and I will try my best into answering them for you.