Author Topic: Program auto-updated to Avast IS 7; programs and internet no longer work.. help?  (Read 1660 times)

Sbry

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, my Avast downloaded and installed the newest version (Avast 6 -> Avast 7) this morning and immediately I've begun noticing problems with my computer.

e.g. my weather gadget no longer can get the newest weather data.  I am unable to access weather.com, but can access a few other weather websites.  I cannot sign in to either AIM or Windows Live Messenger.  I am unable to get hotmail.com to display (though thankfully, gmail.com still works, so I am not totally shut off from email).  Skype has also been spared..  Youtube.com and yahoo.com works, but facebook.com etc. does not.  I am unable to see a pattern in what is now blocked and what is not (I would think that youtube is more 'dangerous' than weather.com..)

I've already triple-checked to make sure that the problem is not with my internet connection. But even after giving programs that are currently blocked full access directly under "Application Controls," they are still unable to connect to the internet...

Are other users experiencing this problem??  Will there be an automatically downloaded fix in the near future?  I am, for all practical purposes, unable to use my internet at home for work or surfing.  Any help would be much, much appreciated.  Thank you.

I am using the paid version of Avast Internet Security and am using Windows 7 (32MB) if this information is useful.  No virus, malware infections and haven't recently installed any other program.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:10:54 PM by Sbry »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Well... It's not a good upgrade experience... Sorry.
Anyway, I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.