Author Topic: How to stop annoying pop-up ads??  (Read 23154 times)

Proteus

How to stop annoying pop-up ads??
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
What must I do do keep from receiving those annoying pop-up billboards advertising Avast 5 that I receive several times daily?

I don't intend to upgrade from 4.7 now. My firewall is also upgrading at present and I don't intend to do both at the same time until Avast 5 generates fewer complaints and I'm sure the firewall is stable. I would hate to go to another A/V program just to stop popups.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:39:42 PM by Proteus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How to stop annoying pop-up ads??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
I don't intend to upgrade from 4.7
If you are on 4.7 then you are way behind, as 4.8 have been out for years......

I would hate to go to another A/V program just to stop popups.
so you can install another A/V but not avast 5....... ???

Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.545 http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

disPlay

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
What type of popup's are you talking? Because I'm using avast v5 free and I don't see any pop up, only from the av saying that the avast have updated their db.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »
he's probably getting prompts to upgrade to V5, what he calls pop up ads ::)

I would hate to go to another A/V program just to stop popups.

;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:39:38 PM by Logos »

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:01:39 PM »
Quote from: Pondus
If you are on 4.7 then you are way behind, as 4.8 have been out for years......

My mistake, I do have 4.8.

Why is that puzzling? Reading this board leads me to believe that avast 5 is causing no end of bothers for users who have upgraded to it. If I can't stop the ads any other way, I'll uninstall Avast altogether and switch to something that respects my decision to remain with what I have at present. If I wanted to upgrade, I would have by now.

Quote from: Logos
he's probably getting prompts to upgrade to V5, what he calls pop up ads  ::)

prompts are one thing... full-screen adverts that pop up while I'm composing text are something else altogether... Is there a simple way to stop them that does not involve upgrading?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:08:23 PM by Proteus »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
Why is that puzzling? Reading this board leads me to believe that avast 5 is causing no end of bothers for users who have upgraded to it. If I can't stop the ads any other way, I'll uninstall Avast altogether and switch to something that respects my decision to remain with what I have at present. If I wanted to upgrade, I would have by now.
what about all those (the majority) that is running avast 5 without problems, you will not know if you don`t try.

If you browse the forum of Norton / AVG / Panda etc....... you will see that no AV is problem free
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 04:29:50 PM by Pondus »

Rick F

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
Proteus wrote: Prompts are one thing... full-screen adverts that pop up while I'm composing text are something else altogether... Is there a simple way to stop them that does not involve upgrading?

Not sure what you have your 4.8 version set for, but if you absolutely want to stay on that version, check your program settings under 'update' and change the setting to never check for program update.  I forget the actual steps as I'm on ver. 5 (and no problems with it BTW).

Hope this helps.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »
Proteus, support for version 4.8 will end by the end of 2010.
In forums, people complain and ask for help. The others, the majority, are happy avast users :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »
Why is that puzzling? Reading this board leads me to believe that avast 5 is causing no end of bothers for users who have upgraded to it.

Totally wrong belief...!!! ;)
asyn
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:10:11 PM by Asyn »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

fjs201

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 08:20:04 PM »
I have had no luck in searching for a solution to pop ups that I am constantly getting.

LorenzoC

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »
Avast (v.5) does NOT display any pop-up.

Avira does when updating.
I don't know AVG.

Assuming you are running only Avast (and not Avira or AVG) and you see pop-ups, I would say there is some spyware or other unwanted program installed on your PC that runs in background. To get rid of the pop-ups you must get rid of the software but it is not Avast.

Unless it is something about Avast 4.x saying you should update to Avast 5. That you should do, I am running it on a PIII from 1998 and no problem.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:02:00 PM by LorenzoC »

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 09:08:21 PM »
avast! 5.0 has a overall of better detection,scan and very low on ram. So i recommand you upgrade your anti virus to the 5.0

De Hollander

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 09:17:45 PM »
Proteus wrote: Prompts are one thing... full-screen adverts that pop up while I'm composing text are something else altogether... Is there a simple way to stop them that does not involve upgrading?

Not sure what you have your 4.8 version set for, but if you absolutely want to stay on that version, check your program settings under 'update' and change the setting to never check for program update.  I forget the actual steps as I'm on ver. 5 (and no problems with it BTW).

Hope this helps.

You can select whether the program and the virus database are updated automatically or manually, or only following notification that an update is available
from avast!
To change the status, you can either click on the current status (e.g. “Database only”) in the avast player screen, or simply open the options menu, select “Program settings”, then “Update (basic)”.
Then just click on the desired status for each of the virus database and the program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »
It's time to people to upgrade... They must force the deliver to end the support of 4.8...
We want the antivirus go further and they can't lose time with 0,03% of users that can't upgrade to 5 due to OS support limitation.
Time to move...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
It's time to people to upgrade... They must force the deliver to end the support of 4.8...
We want the antivirus go further and they can't lose time with 0,03% of users that can't upgrade to 5 due to OS support limitation.
Time to move...

+1 (no more to add..!)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0