Author Topic: Avast 2014 Deep Screen disappears applications  (Read 2389 times)

olddog

Avast 2014 Deep Screen disappears applications
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
A number of Portable Apps applications running under the Portable Apps menu from a USB flash drive simply disappear almost immediately they start up. These are applications I have been using for a considerable time without issue

I have been able to overcome this by excluding the entire Portable Apps folder on the flash drive from Deep Screen, however my question is how is a user supposed to know when an application has been "Deep Screened"?

When something is "Deep Screened" is it still supposed to function, is it really supposed to simply disappear?. Are there no dialogues to say what is happening?. To say that I find it less than intuitive is an understatement.

I note that one can disable the whole Deep Screen function, I assume at the risk of reducing the level of protection with unknown files, but to what extent. Will the other normal antivirus actions not quarantine such a file if it is indeed infected?.

My OS is Windows Pro 64 bit, and my Avast 2014 free is the latest update as at 2/11/2013. (I'd quote the version, but I can't access the Avast system to get it whilst on this web site, clicking on the icon in the task bar does nothing)

Edit:  The version is 2014.8.0.2007, and it seems with that version clicking on the icon in the task bar doesn't access the UI, no matter when I click on it. The only way to access the UI is from the shortcut on the desktop.  I'm sure it wasn't like that before.

Edit 2: After 2 more reboots (making 3 after updating Avast), I can now suddenly access the UI from the task bar icon - strange, and a tad flakey too.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:23:01 PM by olddog »