Author Topic: POP IMAP SMTP - Thunderbird - Not working with Avast  (Read 3832 times)

devanson

POP IMAP SMTP - Thunderbird - Not working with Avast
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »
Hi.. Friends.. I have been recently changed to Avast... I use thunderbird to check my mails - gmail & yahoo...

But due to Internet Mail scansing feature in Avast, I am not able to receive any mails... But terminating that feature (Internet Mail), thunderbird works perfectly...

Why is this happening and how to solve this...?

Thanks in Advance.....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: POP IMAP SMTP - Thunderbird - Not working with Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
Well Gmail normally uses SSL secuer encrypted email on a different port number and Yahoo is web based email unless you have a paid pop3 account, so presumably you are using some sort of add-on to import the Yahoo mail ?

If you add or change the IMAP port then avast Internet Mail would be expecting standard IMAP protocol on the port it is monitoring. If that is secure then it will fail as currently version 4.8 can't handle this secure traffic, avast 5.0 should.

I don't use any IMAP accounts so I'm not speaking from experience.

If you pull the gmail down using an add-on it would come in via pop3 then avast should be able to scan it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
Hi devanson,

I use an IMAP gmail account with thunderbird, so I can only speak for that one.
Normally there should be no problems with the email (besides avast! not being able to scan it)

Have you added the ports to avast! internet mail scanner?
This would leave you with a connection timed out error for imap and the error in the pic below for smtp.

[OFF TOPIC]
Maybe it is the 4.8.1348 beta build, but adding the relevant ports to generate the error messages with a comma didn't work...it still came through but wasn't scanned ???
[/OFFTOPIC]

devanson

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:44:48 AM »
Thanks for ur replies friends.. I am able to get connected both in Pop3 (yahoo) and in Imap (Gmail).. Eventhough I included their port numbers in Internet Mail Scanner.... then as spg SCOTT told, I am getting connection error....

Lets hope that this issue is fixed in version 5.....  :)

Cheers,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »
It is the addition of the SSL port number (to the Internet Mail provider) for gmail that causes it to fail as I said avast 4.8 can't handle the secure connection (assuming you have it set to secure connection in your email client) and as I also said avast 5.0 should be able to cater for this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security