Author Topic: Some Thoughts on the first public Beta  (Read 4120 times)

Mgamerz

Some Thoughts on the first public Beta
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:54:47 AM »
I don't really know how this fits under a single topic name so I am just going to post some thoughts on this.

The little 'picture' you show of the anti-theft module most likely won't match unless you have stock android. OEM's fiddle with that icon all the time, like mine was a blue box with a blue gear. Might want to make sure you have your end users (end users tend to be kind of dumb) informed.
There are many text errors. Like putting in a phone number into the theft app had some uncapitalized words. I know it isn't a big deal but it does miles in the professionalism department.
Might want to distinguish that Android Antivirus and Windows AntiVirus as NOT the same. This won't get Windows Virus's off of your phone if you use it like a flash drive. (Or am I wrong??? )
You might consider giving instructions for root users to uninstall theft aware with Titanium Backup or Root Uninstaller. The directions are kind of difficult. At least link to a dedicated page, not a forum post ;)
You need a smaller icon, or a set of different ones users can use. I like having my phones grey/dark blue and this contrasts alot.
It'd be nice if this played well with LBE privacy guard or implemented permission interception so that the weather channel doesn't SMS someone for me.
As I wrote this avast crashed and just rebooted my Atrix 4G when I was submitting some false positives. (I clicked on REPORT the crash log and it crashed) :(
Still got some bugs but it's a good start.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Some Thoughts on the first public Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »
The picture isn't right even on my phone. But I don't think we can do anything with this.

I've checked the Anti-Theft screen used to put your friend's phone numbers and I can't see any typos.

You're right. AMS won't find Windows malware. We haven't said that it is the same as the Windows sibling.

On that uninstall issues: good point :)

We're currently working on the icon according to the user feedback.

Thanks for your feedback. There're indeed some crashed but we're aware and we're working on it.

Jan

reinhardholzner

Re: Some Thoughts on the first public Beta
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
Good news: in the next official update Mobile Security will contain an uninstall wizard for Anti-Theft which is also able to uninstall rooted installations (of course password protected).