Author Topic: Avast5 won't work with Outpost Firewall Pro; also Real Time Shields issue  (Read 8638 times)

cyberqtf

Two days ago, I upgraded my Windows7 netbook from Avast 4.8 to Avast 5.  After doing so, I was unable to access the Internet.  I turned off Outpost Firewall Pro (version 6.7.1), and the problem went away.  There had been no such problem using Outpost with Avast 4.8.  I used a restore point to go back to 4.8, but that didn't work.  Today, I reinstalled Avast 5, and after doing so I was again unable to access the Internet.  In addition, I was told in the system tray that Real Time Shields was off.  I tried to click on "Fix Now" or on "Turn on."  Neither produced any result.  I then went into settings and was told that Real Time Shields was running.  But the system tray continued to report that Real Time Shields was off.

I turned off Outpost, turned on Windows Firewall, and went to try to report these problems on this forum, but my typing was suddenly excruciatingly slow to appear on the screen.  I then uninstalled Avast and installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead.  The typing problem disappeared.

I'm now using Microsoft Security Essentials  with Outpost Firewall Pro.  I'd really much prefer to use Avast rather than Microsoft Security Essentials, but at the moment it's giving me too many problems.  I'm supposed to be on vacation--the last thing I want to do on my vacation is deal with computer problems.  :( But I'd really like to find a solution to the problems I've been having and would welcome knowledgeable advice.

Thanks in advance.

ArtemisF0wl

i'm also using avast 5 with outpost pro, but i don't have any problems.

did you try setting outpost to "auto learn mode" for a few minutes after installing avast 5?

if not, try that because i'm sure some of the components are different from ver.4 to 5
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:10:55 PM by ArtemisF0wl »

cyberqtf

Thanks, Artemis, for your quick response.  I didn't put Outpost into auto learn mode.  At other times when I've upgraded a software program, I usually got some prompt from Outpost asking me about the changes and whether I wanted to allow them and/or allow Outpost to change its records.  I always said yes, and that was all that was needed.  But this time I got absolutely NO response of any sort from Outpost.   I also don't know what to make of the Real Time Shields issue, nor the molasses-like speed of my typing appearing on screen.  I'm not sure that this latter issue was caused by Avast; I only know that when I uninstalled Avast today, the problem disappeared.

I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind as something to try, especially since you say you haven't experienced any conflict between Avast 5 and Outpost Pro.  Are you using Avast 5 free, and are you on Windows 7 32-bit?

ArtemisF0wl

yes im using avast 5 free, but i am on windows 7 x64. you know, i bet your outpost firewall was trying to use its existing "avast preset" , you might try deleting any avast rules in your application settings then try auto learn mode and reboot

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have no problems with Outpost Firewall Pro same version as you and avast 50. free version.

It didn't miss a beat when I updated to 5.0 all appropriate processes are working/allowed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cyberqtf

Thanks, Artemis, for your helpful follow-up message.  I think I'll try your suggestion once I'm back from vacation. 

cyberqtf

Thanks, DavidR, for your response and the helpful graphic.  I'm really pleased to know that both you and Artemis have had no conflicts between Outpost Firewall Pro and Avast 5.  However, I see from your sig file that you're using WinXP.  I've found from experience that Outpost at times works rather differently on my WinXP desktop than on my Win7 netbook.  Still, I'm encouraged by your message.  Many thanks.

CiaraJansonFan

Try running setup again (from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs) and uninstalling the Web and Network shields - they always conflicted with OPF with version 4.8, so I automatically chose not to install them with version 5  ;D

Let us know how you get on!
Steven

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks, DavidR, for your response and the helpful graphic.  I'm really pleased to know that both you and Artemis have had no conflicts between Outpost Firewall Pro and Avast 5.  However, I see from your sig file that you're using WinXP.  I've found from experience that Outpost at times works rather differently on my WinXP desktop than on my Win7 netbook.  Still, I'm encouraged by your message.  Many thanks.

You're welcome.

Try entering Learning mode in Outpost, from the icon (right click it), see image and reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Try running setup again (from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs) and uninstalling the Web and Network shields - they always conflicted with OPF with version 4.8, so I automatically chose not to install them with version 5  ;D

Steven

I have never had a problem with the web shield and network shield and OFP, once OFP blocked the web shield and consequently internet browsing, even though it was allowed, deleting the entry for the web shield in OFP forced it to reassess the ashWebSv.exe (web shield in 4.8) and back to normal.

I never once had an issue with the network shield and OFP for any reason, the network shield isn't a full blown firewall.

If there were real issues I'm sure we would have seen them in the forums and the volumes simply aren't there. I have been using avast for almost 6 years and Outpost for longer than that in various versions and virtually no issues at all.

The web shield and network shields are two of the most powerful shields against what is the largest threat of malware being infected on the internet, hacked/malicious sites being the most common means of infection.

See http://www.scmagazineus.com/Every-36-seconds-a-website-is-infected/article/140414/.

So I feel it is essential to get these to work rather than remove them.

twl845

Re: Avast5 won't work with Outpost Firewall Pro; also Real Time Shields issue
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 05:36:29 PM »
FWIW I did a first time installation of Avast! 5 with XPsp3 and OP firewall, and other than the end of the installation hanging, Avast installed and is running well.

cyberqtf

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »
Thanks, Steven, for your response.  I'm afraid I've already done something similar to what you suggest.  I always turn off the similar features of OFW--I want it to be just a firewall, not an anti-malware program.  I've got Malwarebytes for that.  I should also note that OPF and Malwarebytes play nicely together on my WinXP Pro desktop (but it's not running Avast).

cyberqtf

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 06:24:58 PM »
Try entering Learning mode in Outpost, from the icon (right click it), see image and reboot.
Thanks for your suggestion and the screenshot.  You and Artemis have both suggested going into Outpost's learning mode, and I think I'll try that once I'm back from my vacation, as well as making sure I delete any old Avast preset rules that OFW might have. 

Again, many thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
You're welcome, good luck, let us know how you get on.

CiaraJansonFan

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »

Steven

I have never had a problem with the web shield and network shield and OFP, once OFP blocked the web shield and consequently internet browsing, even though it was allowed, deleting the entry for the web shield in OFP forced it to reassess the ashWebSv.exe (web shield in 4.8) and back to normal.

I never once had an issue with the network shield and OFP for any reason, the network shield isn't a full blown firewall.

If there were real issues I'm sure we would have seen them in the forums and the volumes simply aren't there. I have been using avast for almost 6 years and Outpost for longer than that in various versions and virtually no issues at all.

The web shield and network shields are two of the most powerful shields against what is the largest threat of malware being infected on the internet, hacked/malicious sites being the most common means of infection.

See http://www.scmagazineus.com/Every-36-seconds-a-website-is-infected/article/140414/.

So I feel it is essential to get these to work rather than remove them.

I totally agree, so I have just re-installed the 2 shields I mentioned and so far so good - web browsing, e-mail etc. all working  ;D

I think what's happened since I last had the problems is that Agnitum have made OFP more compatible with 3rd-party products - when you install it, it gets you to confirm that you have avast! installed etc. and then confirms it has resolved compatibility issues - but of course you must know that already!