Author Topic: Unexplained High CPU usage and cure  (Read 3506 times)

osmosis

Unexplained High CPU usage and cure
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »
Hello,
 :)
Here is the situation I encountered. I was plagued by the random wifi disconnect issue on only one laptop during the betas. Since updating to the release version, this computer continued to experience weird fan cycling and higher than expected CPU usage. I even did a clean install with no change. Nothing running and the CPU would spike to 55%. Upon investigation, I found that that when I opened device manager that the hardware list was refreshing (but no "beep" to indicate found hardware) in perfect timing with the CPU spikes.  I opened all dropdowns and found an "unknown device" showing up and then dissappering from my network devices.  This cycle continued over and over. I then did a "show hidden devices" and noticed that Microsoft ISATAP adapter was missing from this machine. All other machines had this adapter. Upon trying to update the device it confirmed that the ISATAP driver was missing, but it could not be installed. I removed (deleted) ALL devices (hidden and not) from the network adapters. I did not remove the drivers, just the devices. I removed ALL network devices including bluetooth and virtual devices. I removed them with the "show hidden devices" open. I removed all bluetooth first, all virtual next and the physical adapters last. Rebooted and let the network devices stack rebuild itself.  This reinstalled all the devices correctly and installed the ISATAP adapter and all is well.

I cannot confirm that Avast removed this adapter, but it is used to provide internet connectivity and I feel that somehow during the beta process it happened.

This is an HP Win7/64 machine with 8GB ram, P7350, SSD drive and 1GB video card.

This cured the CPU spikes.

CharleyO

Re: Unexplained High CPU usage and cure
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »

That seems a little strange. Anyway, it worked for you and that is what counts.

Thanks for posting and hopefully, this post will help others.