Author Topic: The benefits of visiting this webforum more often.......  (Read 3851 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
The benefits of visiting this webforum more often.......
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:33:46 AM »
Hi malware fighters and users of this forum,

Through coming here more often you will adopt a way of computing that will make it less and less likely that you will encounter a malware infection of some sort, because you will have learned enough about secure practices. In the first place you have learned to update all your critical software of your computer, e.g. have the latest Sun Java version and manually deleted all previous versions, have in browser security like scandoo or NoScript in FF or pre-scan your links before you click them with DrWeb's av scanner plug-in. Avoid to install two resident AV programs together but that creates havoc and FP's, and use one resident and additional non-resident AV programs and anti-spyware solutions. You know you cannot do without a good firewall. Then it is of the utmost  importance to go onto the Internet with normal user rights to avoid 90% of the known malware being able to alter your OS, and use admin rights only for installing and uninstalling programs, or updating your software, etc.. In the end you will not know any better and only be left with just a couple of tracking cookies, which are easily deleted using in browser cookie manager or ATF Cleaner or ClearProg....
Well in a few words  that is the bonus for visiting this webforum more often and read the postings here, at least that is what the avast web forum did for me, and I am grateful to avast for bringing me this insight,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Rafel

Re: The benefits of visiting this webforum more often.......
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:43:27 AM »
I have learnt a lot here with your advices and others of others forumers.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »

I agree with polonus for exactly the same reasons as he stated for himself.     :)

Darkmage

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »
Well said Polonius.

One thing I'd like to add, though. A great way to make sure your computer is secure if you're not going to be using it for an extended period of time (like overnight) is to turn it OFF and unplug it. If it's not connected hackers can't get to it. And it helps your hardware life and your power bill, too.