Author Topic: My Avast is not accessable, unsecured and unable to start  (Read 28107 times)

vicki barbaria

My Avast is not accessable, unsecured and unable to start
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:21:14 AM »
My Avast shows as unsecured, message showing: Urgent Avast service stopped.   "Avast antivirus progam has been stopped, or is in an inconsistant state.  Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system.  When hit "fix now" nothing happens.  was showing unable to start scan there are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

When hit update engine and virus def:  Failed to update, the avast server is not running
start:  Unable to start file
I can reinstall but i'm very worried a virus got into my system somehow and got around the avast, if i reinstall i don't want a virus in the system that hides from the avast because it was there before. 

My scanner is now not working, and some of my ports to my computer are not recognized.
 ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:25:30 AM by vicki barbaria »

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: My Avast is not accessable, unsecured and unable to start
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:33:25 AM »
Have you recently done a system restore? This could cause conflicts with avast.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »
Reboot. After the reboot, wait 10 minutes to check if avast is working correctly or not.

If it still has problems, download the latest stable version of the same edition you are currently using (Free / Pro /AIS). Run the downloaded installer over the current installation (NO UNinstall needed for now). Once the new installation finishes, reboot again. After the last reboot, wait 10 minutes so avast can update and can run an automatic rootkit scan.

If you then still have doubts about an infection, scan with avast.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:58:41 AM »
I usually advise 11 minutes in such cases but well ;D

vicki barbaria

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
I have not done a system restore, and have tried to reboot, even turning the computer off for a few hours.  I'll try the installing without uninstall.  Do you think it's possible I have a virus?
thank you for your response. 

Grumpfuttock

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:19:37 AM »
I have suddenly got exactly the same problem as described by Vicki, which started earlier tonight. I am using AIS. I have tried doing a component update from "Programs and Functions in Win 7, but get an error message. I also tried downloading a current trial version of AIS and installed it over the original installation, but it hasn't had any effect. The Fix Now button has no effect.
The shields are all disabled and when trying to start them individually I get a "shield unreachable" message. I also get the end point message when trying to do a scan. The virus definitions are listed as "Unknown" they won't update as I am told that the Avast service isn't running, the program version is listed as 6.0.1367.
My registration/subscription details are blank, they've disappeared into the thin air, although the Subscription is listed as Active. When I try to insert the licence file I am told that no valid licence content was found. I still have more than a year left on a 3 PC 2 years Subscription !
Oddly the Avast Firewall is running fine, although it had been somehow been turned off when I first encountered the problem, but started without a problem. I also discovered that Win 7 Defender had been disabled too. Even more odd was that Windows didn't give me any warning that Win Def and Avast weren't running.

I had done a system restore tonight, but I don't think that Avast was running before that, as I didn't get the usual virus definition update tonight, so I have a sneeking feeling that Avast was disabled before I did the restore. I first noticed that it was disabled after the PC re-booted. I am no longer able to restore the system after the first install, I get a message each time telling me that my anitivirus program may be blocking it, and to disable it.. which of course it is. I have never had any conflicts with System Restore and Avast in the past.

I hope someone can help with this.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:21:40 AM by Grumpfuttock »

vicki barbaria

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:42:05 AM »
yes, i just installed over the last avast, and no luck...all the same problems.  i have a bad feeling this is a virus.  I'll try to uninstall, and re-install....but worried this will run in the background if avast is installed after a virus (if it is one).  I uploaded ad-aware and am running that and scanned w/spybot before I re-installed avast.  hope someone can help, not sure if i should try antoher program or not. 

vicki barbaria

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:44:41 AM »
It was a virus!  I ran the ad aware, it picked up a serious threat, said to shut down the computer to make sure it was removed.  Turned back on, went to blue screen, I had to shut down again...and when I turned the computer back on the avast icon was spinning once again.  Data was scans were there...they were missing before. 

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:49 AM »
You should now run a boot time scan to detect more possible viruses.
Also i recommend to install "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" and run a Quick-Scan with it.

DJBone

Grumpfuttock

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
I have tried scanning my PC with Ad-Aware and Trend Micro's housecall and MBam they don't find any infection. :( I'm now going to try booting with the Avast Rescue Disk and if that doesn't help, I guess I will have to remove AIS and try to re-install it and hope that solves the problem and that it accepts my reigistration file.

Grumpfuttock

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »
 A scan run after booting up with the rescue disc didn't find an infection. After a number of efforts to uninstall AIS failed, I eventually managed to remove it with Windows running in safe mode, using aswclear.exe. On rebooting into normal mode I successfully installed AIS with no problems with my registration file so now I am happy again :) 

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 10:21:16 PM »
A scan run after booting up with the rescue disc didn't find an infection. After a number of efforts to uninstall AIS failed, I eventually managed to remove it with Windows running in safe mode, using aswclear.exe. On rebooting into normal mode I successfully installed AIS with no problems with my registration file so now I am happy again :)
That's good to hear! :)

DJBone

cyrillic

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
My Avast shows as unsecured, message showing: Urgent Avast service stopped.   "Avast antivirus progam has been stopped, or is in an inconsistant state.  Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system.  When hit "fix now" nothing happens.  was showing unable to start scan there are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.

When hit update engine and virus def:  Failed to update, the avast server is not running
start:  Unable to start file
I can reinstall but i'm very worried a virus got into my system somehow and got around the avast, if i reinstall i don't want a virus in the system that hides from the avast because it was there before. 

My scanner is now not working, and some of my ports to my computer are not recognized.
 ???
I had similar problem, nothing worked, even the boot scan failed. Then went through the simple process of going to http://www.avast.com/download-update
Download the update file - run the exe update, problem resolved. Avast became activated, only two manual activations (like turning on Real Time Shields). So basically all you have to do is download the update file manually from http://www.avast.com/download-update (select avast! 5 & 6 & 7 series VPS update ) and run the exe (update) file. That's all and follow Avast's instructions. Easy peasy! :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:13:42 PM by cyrillic »

mandoran

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
I am now having the same problem, and a manual update does not help. As this seems to be program related and not an infection, and widespread, is there any chance of Avast doing something about it?

jt

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:36 PM »
I suggest to download the latest full update package from here and apply it. The "Fix" button should work then.