Author Topic: quick question please  (Read 3626 times)

firstjohn3one

quick question please
« on: June 21, 2004, 08:14:04 PM »
Hello - my daughter is back after her first year of college...  No AV scans since last November, no firewall.  I got Zone Alarm on and researched free AV and found this product (she doesn't have a lot of money....).

We installed Avast succesfully and it suggested that we reboot and it would run which it did.  It found about 10 viruses...  Not knowing any better, we selected the "delete" option each time it found one...  

Question: looking over the manual, it appears that "repair" would be the best choice - not delete (the machine still appears to run!!)...  Is that true?  She has an XP Pro machine.

Also, is the "avast32" documentation (166 pages) the correct one to look at for the free home edition.

Many thanks....   Doug the dad     8)

niko

Re:quick question please
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 10:21:52 PM »
Hi Firstjohn3one !
Welcome to this forum !
I'm a avast! beginner and I can tell you'll  ever find someone here to help you. For usefull help, please give to avast! team complete informations about your problem (virus name etc...)
Don't worry, there's only solution with avast!
@+

Stephan123

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 10:29:31 PM »
Hello firstjohn3one

The answer on your question on repairing is that the best option?Yes it is the best option if Avast can't repair you must move it to the chest

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:36:21 AM »
On the first scan (boot scan) after installation of avast it would not be possible to do a repair.

You need to have run the run the 'Generate VRDB now', this VRDB it what avast uses as a reference point to attempt a repair. So until this has been done repair is not really an option, so that leaves you with delete or move to chest.

Delete when you are not sure is not a very good choice, so moving it to the avast  chest at least gives you the chance to restore the file to its location or delete it later when you are sure it is ok to do so.

The avast chest is a protected area where you can put files without fear that they can be activated, etc.

The avast32 is a totally different product so the documentation would not be relevant. The avast help file can be found in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\HELP help.chm (assumes you are using english version)

It can also be accessed through Start>All Programs>avast>Help or right click the avast icon and select 'start avast antivirus' when that opens, clcik on the menu and select help or F1 key.

A visit to this link would give you some useful information - User's FAQ

Welcome to the forums.

HTH David
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 12:43:26 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 09:52:13 AM »
Well, it's hard to say more about the "Delete" options without knowing what virus was reported and what files were affected. Generally, it's safer to Move to Chest than to Delete, because it's possible to "revert" the changes in case of troubles.

Avast32 is an old version of avast! (3.0, whereas the current version is 4.1), so it's better to use the online help.

firstjohn3one

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 01:55:47 AM »
 :D   Many thanks to you all...  I'm thankful the PC still works!