Author Topic: invalid license key  (Read 14422 times)

zenki_ricky

invalid license key
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »
So, yeah. I know there are questions about this in the forum already but, the answers suck. One guy makes an analogy to mechanical repair facility. That's good an nice but, you still didn't help anything.

I downloaded avast! free for home use. I had the license key sent to my email address. When I copy and paste the key it gives me the following message..."insert number here" is not a valid key? What do I do now? I've had the license resent and it still doesn't work. Help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: invalid license key
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
OK so the answers suck, but we still need information to help, what have you tried and what were the results, e.g. errors, etc. ?

What avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?

As with avast5 (if you have that) there is no need to have an email downloaded, etc. all you need to do is register through the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration section.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zenki_ricky

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
I'm running 5.0 ( the orange ball). When I hit "register now" a little box pops up that says "retrieving information"...then it just goes away and nothing happens. At the bottom of the registration screen in avast! the are 2 buttons. "Registration Form" and "Insert License Key".

If I push the registration form button it opens up the web page where I register for a license key. I've already done this and had a license key emailed to me. So, I hit insert license key and I copy and past the license key in my email address to the slot in the form and push "ok".
A pop-up comes up that reads "C21750531H1200A0412-********* is not a valid license key".There is no error: message, just that. I've never had this much trouble trying to put avast on my computer. What are they doing over there now that is making it so hard?

Edit by Lukor: removed the full licence numbers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:47:16 PM by lukor »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
You need to fill the registration fields to get it automatically.
Click on Maintenance, than Registration for online registering.
1) Open Avast.
2) Click on "Maintenance" then "Registration".
3) Fill out the form for your license key and click "Submit".

When the time is about to expire you will receive a popup notice to register it again.
Note that you will also need to do steps above if you ever need to reinstall the program.

If it fails (or you're in an offline computer), try offline registration.
Fill the form here ( http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php ) and enter (copy & paste) the serial number you've recieved by email.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
<snip>

If I push the registration form button it opens up the web page where I register for a license key. I've already done this and had a license key emailed to me. So, I hit insert license key and I copy and past the license key in my email address to the slot in the form and push "ok".
A pop-up comes up that reads "C21750531H1200A0412-******** is not a valid license key".There is no error: message, just that. I've never had this much trouble trying to put avast on my computer. What are they doing over there now that is making it so hard?

I suggest you modify your post and remove the latter part of the key as it could be harvested (as I have done in the quoted part of your post), whilst it may or may not be invalid it would give clues.

Hopefully the direct registration from the Register now would work, I don't know why doesn't appear to be anything happening after the "retrieving information" notice, if that is busy registration servers or possibly firewall blocking.

What firewall are you using and does it allow avastUI.exe, avastSvc.exe and avast.setup internet access ?

Presumably you installed 5.0 over 4.8 or did you do a clean install of 5.0 ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:45 AM »
I'm running 5.0 ( the orange ball). When I hit "register now" a little box pops up that says "retrieving information"...then it just goes away and nothing happens. At the bottom of the registration screen in avast! the are 2 buttons. "Registration Form" and "Insert License Key".

Are you connected to the Internet?
Also, what happens if you open your browser and navigate to http://program.avast.com ? Can you connect?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:39:02 PM »
Also, what happens if you open your browser and navigate to http://program.avast.com ? Can you connect?
In my case. No.

zenki_ricky

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 05:04:37 AM »
Yes, I'm connected to the internet. I'm just running the standard windows firewall on XP. Avast is on the list of program exceptions. Still no go when I hit register now. Avast has sent me 4 license keys. Each time I've been told it was invalid. program.avast.com also does not work for me(404 not found error)

Is it possible that there is already a virus on my computer that is preventing me from getting my avast registered?

I've also uninstalled avast and re-installed it. Still no luck, still unregistered, still no virus protection...I can't use it. The expiration date on it is blank. Any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
zenki_ricky, why don't you try installing avast 5 from scratch?

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

hayc59

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »
In my case. No.
I also get the same thing??

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
@ hayc59

I told Vlk about the page being down.