Author Topic: ImgBurn insta-crash  (Read 1898 times)

Offline rpg

ImgBurn insta-crash
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
Tried running Image Burn today and it crashed almost immediately (maybe 5 seconds after GUI displayed).  Turning off Avast File System Shield allows ImgBurn to run normally. 

Replicated this behavior on a laptop and two desktops that had all been running XPSP3 with Avast and ImgBurn for years without issue.  Only recent changes were the Avast program v7 update and Microsoft patch Tuesday security updates.  No error messages or log entries were generated either in Windows, Avast or ImgBurn. 

Avast version 7.0.1407 
ImgBurn version 2.5.6.0

Saw only one similar thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=91534.msg727663#msg727663, but it is a month old.  Thought I would share my experience.

Dch48

Re: ImgBurn insta-crash
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:04:18 AM »
I just tried it and what happened was that avast! put it in the auto sandbox with a red border around it. The analyzing popup came up, said it didn't find enough evidence to consider ImgBurn to be malware and then terminated it. The popup window stayed open with the options to either run it normally or in the sandbox next time. I chose to run it normally and now it works fine with an exception having been added in the sandbox settings.

This is how it now works but, it will not work correctly if you are running the avast! gadget. The gadget prevents sandbox exclusions from being properly created so if you are running it, turn it off. If you do not have the gadget, then set the auto sandbox to auto and you should get the same behavior that I outlined. The exclusion should get created and then ImgBurn should work fine.

I hadn't opened ImgBurn since updating to v7 so I didn't know that avast! now considers it suspicious.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:26:19 AM by Dch48 »