Author Topic: avast! Backup Beta for Android  (Read 75847 times)

reinhardholzner

avast! Backup Beta for Android
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
Hi all,

today there is a great day for us at AVAST. We are releasing - TODAY - the avast! Backup Beta for Android.

Let me shortly introduce what avast! Backup Beta for Android is about.

WHO IS OUR TARGET USER?

avast! Backup Beta is the non-advanced user who wants to backup his or her phone data to the cloud, but offers features for advanced users as well.

It is designed to:
- be easy to use
- be focused on most important data
- be targeted solely at cloud storage
- not consume endless data communication quota
- offer some features for advanced users

WHICH DATA CAN BE BACKED UP?

avast! Backup offers to back up following data types to the cloud:
- contacts
- call log
- SMS
- images
- videos
- audio files
- apps

For advanced users, avast! Backup offers advanced ROOT features. If you got ROOT you can also back up app settings and app data to the cloud.

Further data types might be released in the future.

WHERE DOES IT BACK UP DATA TO?

At the moment, avast! Backup backs up data to Google Drive and is integrated to the https://my.avast.com account to manage the backup items. Further storage providers will come up over time.

It does not offer SD card backup because there is several tools for this out there already, and SD card backups are of not much sense, if you lose your phone :-).

DOES IT OFFER INCREMENTIAL BACKUP?

avast! Backup ONLY backs up incremential. Only changes will be uploaded, even for app settings. Changes are being detected automatically by avast! Backup on your device. As a result this reduces the load on your data communication channel in the best way possible.

HOW CAN I MANAGE MY BACKUP?

You can manage the backup from your device and from the https://my.avast.com account. You can also directly access the backup on Google Drive if you want to.
It is even possible to access backups from all your my.avast.com devices from the avast! Backup client itself - check it out!

BETA NOTE: in order not to confuse our existing user base, on https://my.avast.com account avast! Backup user interface parts not visible by default. They will show up once our servers recognize that avast! Backup Beta is installed on your device. This will change on final release.

IS THERE A DATA LIMIT?

For now, the only limit is your cloud storage limit (the sky :-)). AVAST does not impose limits on storage used or devices managed.

WHERE CAN I GET IT?

Download it here (after short Beta registration): http://m.avast.com/backup

IS IT STABLE?

It is as stable as a Beta can get. Part of the beta purpose is to find out issues in real world scenarios, so your feedback is extremely important to us - especially for rooted phones as there is tons of different ROMs out there so we are unable to test each of them ourselves. Post it in this thread or drop an email to holzner@avast.com who is the team manager for this product.

Get going now! I am looking forward to your feedback!!

best regards
Reinhard

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! Backup Beta for Android
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
Working very well in my two Android devices:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (maguro) running Rootbox ROM rooted.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p4) running Beegee CyanogenMod 3.1.10 (CM 10.1) also rooted.
The best things in life are free.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
Good to hear! Any feedback? Send it to me at holzner (at) avast.com.

Working very well in my two Android devices:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (maguro) running Rootbox ROM rooted.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (p4) running Beegee CyanogenMod 3.1.10 (CM 10.1) also rooted.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
I have an error which is ff-backup.avast.com.  @ 20.45 it's working now. Is it better to have avast backup stored on the phone or the SD card?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:04:21 PM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »
Is it better to have avast backup stored on the phone or the SD card?
avast! Backup does not work with SD card. You can only store online.

kevpan815

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:46:59 AM »
Avast Backup is running nice and smooth on my Samsung Galaxy S4, however due to the fact that this is a Brand New Android Cell Phone with Jelly Bean 4.2.2, Regular Firmware Updates (already got the first Sprint PCS Over the Air Update), and the fact that my new S4 is Insured under Sprint's TEP Insurance, I will NOT be ROOTING my S4 anytime soon. :-)

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:22:47 AM »
I was talking about the app of itself. Tho I did not make that clear in my question. :-)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:25:11 AM by patrice58 »
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

kevpan815

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:59:29 PM »
Finally decided to go ahead and ROOT my device and found that I am still unable to use Rooted Mode possibly due to the fact that my Samsung Galaxy S4 is a NAND Protected Device even though ROOT Mode works just fine with Avast Anti-Theft Software. :-(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
Reinhard, I'm not being able to finish the backup due to constants errors: "A general backup error ocurred (127.0.0.1-xxxx. No such file or directory)

reinhardholzner

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
you can store wherever you want. however i usually do not recommend SD card as it is much more unreliable (and backup app is not very big @ ~ 2MB).

I was talking about the app of itself. Tho I did not make that clear in my question. :-)

reinhardholzner

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 10:53:14 AM »
whats your issue (what does it say?)
Finally decided to go ahead and ROOT my device and found that I am still unable to use Rooted Mode possibly due to the fact that my Samsung Galaxy S4 is a NAND Protected Device even though ROOT Mode works just fine with Avast Anti-Theft Software. :-(

reinhardholzner

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
can you check in your /data/data directory if there is a file with that name somewhere?

Reinhard, I'm not being able to finish the backup due to constants errors: "A general backup error ocurred (127.0.0.1-xxxx. No such file or directory)

kevpan815

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
It says that the program was unable to find SU Permissions even though I have used the Clockwork Mod (which is practically the only Root Mod available for this S4 SPH-720 Phone right now) to run Fix Permissions at least a half dozen times by now.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
Fix permissions does actually nothing related to rooting.
Are you sure your device is REALLY rooted?

It says that the program was unable to find SU Permissions even though I have used the Clockwork Mod (which is practically the only Root Mod available for this S4 SPH-720 Phone right now) to run Fix Permissions at least a half dozen times by now.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
you can store wherever you want. however i usually do not recommend SD card as it is much more unreliable (and backup app is not very big @ ~ 2MB).

Thanks for the answer. :-)