Author Topic: Avast heuristic False Positive?  (Read 2980 times)

Roxas

Avast heuristic False Positive?
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:12:30 AM »
I'm not sure if this topic is in the right section. I was using superantispyware's program update when avast pop up with this message below.

I check the file on google and the file belongs to superantispyware; a legitimate company. I uploaded the file to http://virustotal.com and http://virusscan.jotti.org and it did not find anything wrong with the file. Is it a false positive with avast heuristics?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast heuristic False Positive?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:44:33 AM »
Simple answer, yes, it's a false positive.
Less simple, heuristic detection (by any program) is more likely to report a legitimate file as being a possible threat, because of the expected or projected behaviour of that file. (Don't ask me how Avast makes this determination.)
This especially seems to be true of security software, I think because good security software has the ability to access parts of the file system not usually accessible.
Superantispyware has a feature called "DDA", for Direct Disk Access.
I suspect the driver for this is what's being flagged.

So, if this file belonged to something else, the suspicious behaviour would definitely be a cause for further investigation.
NOt really a "False Positive", more a genuine and valid detection, that in this case proves harmless.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:46:57 PM »
I'll click Ignore and send the file to Alwil for further analysis. Hope they correct the false positive soon.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:25:14 PM »
Whilst this is a valid file, I have SAS Pro installed and a) this services isn't running, b) there is no detection by the avast anti-rootkit scan, obvious I guess since it isn't running.

Now I don't know what version of SAS you have free/pro or why this might be running on your system but not mine ?

It may be that your SAS update happened to coincide with the avast anti-rootkit scan 8 minutes after boot (or why it would be a hidden service) ?

I have just initiated an SAS update and is progressing, but a) no detection by avast and no sasdifsv.sys running.

You should however, as Tech mentions
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:26:56 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security