Author Topic: Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?  (Read 4300 times)

ktodd1989

Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
Hello,

I had an HTC G2 with the Avast Mobile Security App installed. I had this phone setup with Anti-Theft so if the phone detected a new unauthorized simcard, it would send SMS messages to whoever is on my friends list. Well, I sold the phone about 3 weeks ago since I upgraded and totally forget to disable the app. Now it sends numerous text messages to my wife's phone (which her number was on the list) and it's driving her nuts! I looked around but cannot find an answer as to how to disable remotely? I cant seem to get ahold of the new owner of the phone I sold. Any help on how to stop this besides changing her number (which she refuses to do)? Thanks

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
Re: Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
Hi,

if you get sms with the new number, why not to call the owner back and tell him how to disable it? But I assume you already tried that.

You can try to use the sms command to disable AT, see: http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security#commands

SET PROTECTION <protection mode>
Sample: 2222 SET PROTECTION 1
Will enable or disable Anti-Theft protection (0 = turn off, 1 = turn on)
Caution: By using this command you will completely disable the Avast! Anti-Theft system thus rendering the Anti-Theft protection useless.

Perhaps Reinhard could help you more, I'll ping him to check this post.

Ondra

reinhardholzner

Re: Disable Anti Theft after I sold my phone?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
yes by using the command SET PROTECTION 0 you will disable anti theft. note you will NOT be able to enable it again later on without physical access to the device.