Author Topic: Linux or Windows.  (Read 2122 times)

Arnold72

Linux or Windows.
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »
Currently im using a linux os on my laptop and like it very much and dumped windows altogether.
Just wondered what fellow forum members considered the more secure operating system.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Linux or Windows.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »
I have never really been tempted by Linux, many of the different versions have their own idiosyncrasies. Many yeas ago I tried a couple of Live CD versions, but I wasn't impressed and the learning curve was steep.

So for many the hardest is which one to start with. For years Linux just wasn't the average Joe installing it like Windows as most got their systems pre-installed with Windows and it just worked.

Whilst Linux may have become more user friendly I have never ventured back. When you see the OS market share, Linux is a mere blip on the radar. Which is strange when you consider it is a free OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »
More secure? Hmm, I would say IBM-DOS 1.0  ;D

For most users I would say use Windows since it is easier to learn than *nix versions.
When it comes to security, both are about even secured nowadays.
Since Windows is more used by consumers, it is more attacked by malicious persons.
But that doesn't mean it is less secure.
As with any (computer) security, it starts with the user.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:49:12 PM by Eddy »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »
I've used Windows since DOS, and Linux for over 10 years. Though I favor Linux, one of my computers has always been dual booted with the latest version of Windows - there are advantages to having both operating systems available.

Many of the earlier issues with security with Windows, had a lot to do with permissions. If you take Microsoft's modern day suggestions for setup, such as the use of standard accounts, and you keep it up-to-date, and you don't run through the internet naked, you'll be in pretty good shape.

I'm confident in using either one of them, interchangeably, on a day-to-day basis.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:52:59 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:50:03 AM »
I used linux on my former laptop. It was nice until I had problems installing java which is required for some of my applications. Besides that, I had no other problems on linux.

Security issues, well, it depends on the user. As other fellow users said, it always starts at the user.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield