Author Topic: csrss.exe is this the virus? Avast did not detect.  (Read 13883 times)

barbarahasquestions

Re: csrss.exe is this the virus? Avast did not detect.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 05:53:28 AM »
I do not know the speed of my cpu and my os is Windows XP. But THAT isn't important, what is important is what was this virus message I posted screencaps of because I used Malware and Avast after posting that and logging off and they did not say I had any viruses.

I don't care about the slowness of Avast issue as much as I care about being certain it will do its job.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 07:02:03 AM »
Hi Barbara

I think you're problem is that you are using both Firefox and Juno. I don't know much about Juno but it is likely to come bundled with various features including virus scanner that are set to run by default regardless of whether you want to USE it or not. In which case it may be sparking off at any hint of the wrong word or object, sometimes picking up small stuff - that mbam and avast would take care of anyway if they were in fact nasty. Possibly stuff that Firefox doesn't look for as it doesn't scan for viruses, which may make things worse for Juno because Juno probably recognises that it isn't the only browser presence. Or the only scanner when mbam and avast come to do their stuff.

So, because Juno cannot decypher what is going on, it is shouting out warnings to you, who does actually know what these other things are. But of course this is not helping you much unless you can reset Juno to not scan and therefore not recognise the presence of Firefox or your virus detectors. If this is the case what you need is to do is to reset Juno to only do its hookup for your dialup, and have its extra features disabled. This will leave your other programs like avast free to cover the browser territory without sparking Juno off all the time. Perhaps someone who knows Juno or the Help and Support at Juno can help you with the best way to do this. You may have to uninstall Firefox to reset Juno, then install Firefox again. Unfortunately I do not know the ins and outs of Juno. I'm just trying to help.

Usually with my clients the problems occur the other way round. I set up their antivirus / antispyware defence and then they go and download some browser that has virus scanning capability, which then works away at my defence setup at every hint of movement that occurs in browser teritory, until eventually the new browser has taken over antivirus responsibility, and avast in particular ends up limping along out of a job and of no real use to anyone. Browser territory then becomes a very unstable, unsafe environment open to exploitation by any kind of malware. Enough to say that viruses start slipping throught the net (like sheep through a hole in the fence) :)  So this is what I find happens when there are no longer clearly defined road rules in browser territory. And prior to infection, when I get there early enough, all sorts of weirdo messages and things are going off.

I cannot say for sure this is your problem. But maybe this will help.

BTW on dialup you are safer because your hookup starts again each time you connect, as opposed to broadband / Lan which is continuous from the previous time you connected. At the same time, if the weirdo stuff starts going off each time you connect, then the extra features on Juno may very likely be your problem. Probably best reset Juno mean and lean as just the connect function to internet, and let Firefox free to handle all the browser duties. Granted this may possibly already be what you are doing and the problem lies elsewhere. But I would say Juno Help and support would be your first stop.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 07:38:59 AM »
mkis might well be correct.
While he was posting, I took a slightly different approach, that is, to "Google" the URL that appeared in your browser as posted in your second picture here.

I'm going to assume that you didn't type (or have saved as a favorite) "newwayscanner.info".

Your browser has been re-directed to this page, probably, which is, as you probably already know, for a malicious scam.

"Googling" the URL led to a few hits...quite few. It appears the malware is quite new..perhaps even from as early as August this year, and is thus not widespread, which is (if that is correct) why the scanners aren't detecting it.
The Google hits I looked at suggested that some users with other AV's failed to have it detected, also, so you are not alone.
(I realize that may not actually make you feel less annoyed.)

You might want to post a HijackThis log here. I'm not trained in the use, but there are folk who help here that are. It might be a way to find out what process is involved, stop it, and in the process send a sample to Avast. (Further info/instructions would be forthcoming.)

An alternative (less palatable, IMO), would be to wait until the scanners get samples and update their detections, so it can be removed by what you have installed already.

If you need instructions on posting a HjT log, please advise.

What firewall do you use?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 08:03:56 AM »
That is the kind of stuff that started happening when the youngsters downloaded extra browsers to run as residents in their user accounts. They became exploited.

Probably some tidy up needed - so HijackThis may shed some light. And definitely need SP3 and updated Windows and other programs, Java, Adobe, and so on to tighten up defence.   
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

YoKenny

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
Showing the CPU speed helps the people helping you to better diagnose the situation and provide better resolution for you.

To view the CPU speed on the System Properties tab, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the General tab.
CPU information is listed in the first or second line of the Computer area.

System information can be also by going to Control Panel then System then reading the Computer: information at the bottom of the General tab.

CharleyO

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »

In addition to what Yokenny posted above about the CPU speed, the amount of RAM & the amount of programs running at start-up can also contribute to a slow running computer.

A quote from you in reply #11 :
I'll cope with the slowing down of Avast.

It might be avast or, more likely, the CPU speed, amount of RAM, & amount of start-up programs also will contribute to a slow down of a computer. Extra programs that the kids may have downloaded may be running at start-up and therefore, using up more RAM as well as using too many CPU cycles.

Along with the other problem, you seemed to indicate that the slow down was also a problem. We are only trying to help you get your computer back to a decent speed but if that is of little concern to you, then it will be of little concern us also. The choice is yours.   :)