Author Topic: Has anybody used ThreatFire v4.5.0.17 the latest  (Read 21006 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Has anybody used ThreatFire v4.5.0.17 the latest
« on: June 06, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
Hi all, ;D

Just dropping by :D ;D while I'm cleaning up a friend of mind from work who has problem with his PC with a very nasty >:( bucket loads of virus, malware, adwares, trojans etc etc. And he was about 6 months behind the MS security update patch and I've spend the last 3hrs fixing his problem, he had Norton 360 security software and he hate it so bad and it a very long story to explain.

Okay everything is clean up MS is fully patch and up to date with Avast ;).

Now a question has anybody used ThreatFire v4.5.0.17 the latest  came out in May 27, 2009 cause I never used it, and I would like your feedback on the good, the bad and the ugly side of ThreatFire because he want to have this installed onto his PC and this is why I'm here to ask you about it before I give this to him.

ThreatFire Highlights:
• Persistent zero-day threat protection made easy for everyone — even novice users!
• Perpetually ready for the next malware outbreak, with no signature updates required.
• Runs in background without impacting system performance.
• NEW! ThreatFire now includes advanced protection features including malware quarantine and removal, rootkit scanner and custom rules settings in both the Free and Pro versions.
• Patent-pending ActiveDefense technology intelligently scans and analyzes computer processes to detect and block any malicious activity — without false positives!
• Highest level of out-of-the-box accuracy. No need to configure baffling, technical security settings: just turn ThreatFire on and start blocking malware.
• Protects against both known and zero-day viruses, worms, trojans, buffer overflows, rootkits and even some spyware.
• Works alongside your current security programs — there is no need to uninstall your antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall or other security program before installing ThreatFire.
• NEW! ThreatFire Pro includes PC Tools AntiVirus’s on-demand AV scanner, giving you added peace of mind so you can quickly and easily scan your PC for known threats.

SpeedyPC

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 12:48:58 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Has anybody used ThreatFire v4.5.0.17 the latest
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »
It certanly has a very very high level of detection on brand new samples. I'd certanly recommend running ThreatFire along avast! for extreme total protection.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »
It certanly has a very very high level of detection on brand new samples. I'd certanly recommend running ThreatFire along avast! for extreme total protection.

RejZoR are there any Pro and Con about this software ??? ??? ???
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »
Apart from a massive list of pros, i couldn't think of a single con...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »
Not for me... thanks. Tons of questions to allow, resource taking, bad interaction with Firefox extensions... Never caught anything when running in my computer... maybe the major protection is just safe browsing. Well, just my opinion.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 02:04:58 PM »
I don't use the version you mention, but have used version 3.5 (which had problems with the Avast GUI) and 2X #4 versions, currently 4.1 which is on my computer now, with absolutely no ill effects.
Only popups  experienced have been when installing or running little known software. I tend not to encounter any genuine in-the-wild malware for some reason. Sites that are infected tend to be pulled up short by the Avast webshield before any unsavoury content gets to challenge TF's defences. (And I don't have a deathwish to bypass the Avast protection in order to test TF out; this is my working computer, not for testing stuff.)
Currently both TF entries in taksmanager total a rather meagre 8.5~ Mb, for what it's worth.
I have read that TF is certainly reasonably effective against zero day malware, but also that it is not perfect (what is?) and so one should not feel invulnerable just because it is there.
Consider it an extra layer that may save your 6, nothing more, nothing less. ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:06:43 PM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
Maybe you're right Tarq, I just used an old version and it's not my intention make FUD.
Just that avast and the HIPS of Online Armour firewall are more than enough to me ;)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 02:12:54 PM »
Absolutely, I wasn't having a go at your opinion, far from it!
But I did realize that your past experience with TF - which wasn't a good one - was some time ago, so I thought I'd just put my 2p in.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
Tech,

Have you every thought about trying out the latest version again, I fully understand you had some bad experience with TF version 3.5 maybe the latest may have resolved the problem with Firefox ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »
Tech,

Have you every thought about trying out the latest version again, I fully understand you had some bad experience with TF version 3.5 maybe the latest may have resolved the problem with Firefox ;)
Maybe... I think safe browsing habits does the job alone...

drhayden1

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
SpeedyPC
Works alongside your current security programs — there is no need to uninstall your antivirus, anti-spyware, firewall or other security program before installing ThreatFire.
The last time i used Threatfire-in my windows security center it said i had two antivirus programs running
which i didn't feel at home with ???
Just like Garfield doesn't feel at home with  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:05:51 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Ha ha ha ;D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »
drhayden1 , this is normal. TF is recognized by the security centre as an AV. There is an option during installation of TF (and subsequently in the program settings) to disable the reporting in the security centre, in order to allay the concerns of folk who (correctly) feel disturbed about the reporting of more than one AV installed.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »
Hi SpeedyPC,

I have changed from ComodoBoClean that was discontinued as a stand-alone real-time scanner program to Threatfire. I am rather satisfied to have it. Only remember one hick-up, a real blurp really towards TDIMON.exe. Threatfire protested against me starting up TDIMON from systems internals. It protested against the fact that a device driver was loaded (normally this is a security risk where unknown proggies etc. are concerned), so I had to specifically allow that in the threat control center. The way it blocked it was so abrupt, it just set 0000: 00 00 00 00  in user32 and so I lost connection for both Firefox and SRWare's Iron browser for which I had a restart to restore the right workings. So make Threatfire remember these issues permanently in advance, because normally it does its job silently in the background, but when it has to act it acts with a lot of noise,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 04:17:49 PM »
Not for me... thanks. Tons of questions to allow, resource taking, bad interaction with Firefox extensions... Never caught anything when running in my computer... maybe the major protection is just safe browsing. Well, just my opinion.

Sorry but thats bollocks. ThreatFire is not HIPS. I don't have clue where you got "tons of questions". Because i certanly didn't get any. Maybe one or two tops. Thats far from "many".