Author Topic: I can't register my Avast free, expires tomorrow  (Read 23055 times)

my4jewels

I can't register my Avast free, expires tomorrow
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »
I have been using Avast 5.0.418 free on my new personal laptop.  My 30 days will end tomorrow if I don't register it.  I have tried many many times over the last 2 weeks to register, but after I fill out the registration form, the button that says "Register for free license" is unclickable.   I even filled out the offline registration hoping a license key would be sent to me via email, but I have gotten no respose in days.  What should I do? ???  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.     

tbint

Re: I can't register my Avast free, expires tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »
I found it a little tricky too. I could only do it thew the avast program. Following these direction:

click the icon by the clock.

The easiest way to register is to just open the Maintenance tab on the left side of the screen and then click on Registration. Here you will see your current registration status e.g. "not yet registered". To register click on Register Now.

A new window will open where you will need to enter a few basic details, then just click on "Register for free license" and your registration will be completed.

If I remember right there was something else, like the offer for the up grade to pro and I had to click "no thanks" then it registered. You have to be on the Internet, no more getting a code in email.

hope this helps cheers.   

my4jewels

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:10 PM »
Thanks for your response.  That is exactly what I have been trying to do.  After I fill in my details the button at the bottom will not click.  It's like a dead button.  Maybe I'll just have to let it expire and do a fresh download.

hpguru

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:16:22 PM »
Do you try repair?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »
Does it still show that your copy is not yet registered ?
If so and you have the other option to get the registration on the web (whilst tbint had a problem with that, it is another option), complete the form and receive the email and insert it into the UI using the Insert the license key button.

-  Web site registration rather than using UI Registration http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

- Registration avast5:
How to register avast 5 free on page 8
http://www.avast.com/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »
The OFF-LINE forms as I understand should work for both Avast 5.0 and Avast 4.8, correct?  The only off-line support to get your Avast license key has always said, "Fill out the form to get your free license key to 4.8."  The website should be updated to indicate that this also works in Avast 5.0.

I think some users are confused getting misinformation that they can ONLY update 5.0 through an Internet Connection and that the e-mail registration form on the website only works in 4.8.  Is the following correct?

A. ) Avast 5.0: On-line registration process through clicking on Maintenance UI within program and selecting registration.  Fill out form to get 12-month license key, need to repeat every 12-months or should program need to be installed.  ALSO.

B.) If Avast 5.0 registration fails: through the on-line program process, the license can be filled out by submitting the e-mail form through a valid e-mail address.  Than after receiving license key, this key can be cut and pasted into the program.

Either A or B must be repeated after 12 months or should program need to be reinstalled.

Avast 4.8:   Must sign up through registration form at Avast's website with valid e-mail address.  License Key is sent to that address, than that key must be entered into the program by right-clicking on the Avast Ball, selecting  "About Avast", by clicking the Registration tab and submitting for 12 months of protection.

License Key must be reentered should program need to be reinstalled.  However, SUPPORT FOR 4.8 WILL END ON DECEMBER 31, 2010.  In which case, users choosing to continue to use Avast, should, for best results, uninstall 4.8 and install version 5.0.

Jack
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:33:35 AM by Jack 1000 »

tbint

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
complete the form and receive the email and insert it into the UI using the Insert the license key button.

The "Insert avast! Pro Antivirus / Internet Security License file" threw me off. I could not find a insert for home.  Sorry about the bad info My4jewels, DavidR.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »
complete the form and receive the email and insert it into the UI using the Insert the license key button.

The "Insert avast! Pro Antivirus / Internet Security License file" threw me off. I could not find a insert for home.  Sorry about the bad info My4jewels, DavidR.

You didn't answer the question about "Does it still show that your copy is not yet registered ?"
If it doesn't then what I said before and what I'm about to say may not be possible, that is why I asked the question.

Below the "Insert avast! Pro Antivirus / Internet Security License file" button mentioned, there should be another section off-line registration, see image (ignore any other highlights on the image. There should be an Insert license key button. Those instructions should also be in the quick start .pdf file link that I gave you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

my4jewels

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 12:35:01 AM »
Thanks, everyone.  It shows me as not registered.  I have tried online and offline to register, but I can't get through.  I have used avast for a long time on previous computers, so I know my way around their site, and I am an experienced computer user.  This has never happened to me before. 

hpguru, what do you mean by "try repair?" My computer is almost new, and I keep it in good shape.  I do weekly scans for spyware, viruses, also cleanup disk, defrag and error checking.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
Well the avast web site has had a big revamp, and the link I gave to the home registration page requires you complete a form (you didn't say if that happened) and you should have received an email (you didn't say if that had happened either), so I really don't know where you are at, can't get through where ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

my4jewels

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
Okay, My Avast Free expired today.  I uninstalled it, restarted my computer, and reinstalled it.  Everything went smoothly.  But it still won't let me register the program I installed today.  BTW, I have Windows 7.

DavidR, I did try repair.  All is well.  I have followed the instructions and filled out the form.  The button at the bottom of the form that says, "Register for Free License", is dead.  After I fill out the form, I click the button, and it just doesn't work.

I wish someone from Avast would respond to this.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »
Try using this link, https://secure.avast.com/web/eng/home-registration.php.
Use the "My registration key has expired, I need a new one" option at the top of the page, that should keep you on that page.

Have you not tried using the Registration form button (image in my last post) on this reinstall ?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 09:19:09 PM by DavidR »

my4jewels

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »
I tried it again.  I filled this form out last week and got no response.
Yes, I tried using the Registration form button from your last post on this reinstall.  Didn't work.
I'll wait and see what happens.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
The link above is for a secure registration page have you tried that as https pages, a) aren't monitored by the web shield so may get past any conflict and b) it is likely that would be correct for other security settings in your browser.

Personally I don't feel waiting is an option as when the trial expires you can't get updates.

I assume that even after a reinstall you don't have 30 days left on the trial ?

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:35 PM »
Forgive me, but sometimes the solution might be so simple that it gets overlooked. If the button remains unclickable, and you got no response from the online form, is it possible that your email is entered incorrectly? unlikely, i know but it's something to think about. have you tried using a different email address?