Author Topic: please help can't load windows xp  (Read 4023 times)

sammieoteal

please help can't load windows xp
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
this shows D: drive as had to remove from other computer to do the scan
windows xp can not find any hard drives on system when try to repair from cd
have ran scan and found the following  not sure if they are the problem or not these files are currently in virus chest
1. A0010045.exe      D:/System Volume Information\_restore         WinZlob-BKI[trj]
2.  A0319505.exe     D:/System Volume Information\_restore         Win32Trojan-gen{other}
3.  A0319506.dll       D:/System Volume Information\_restore         win 32 Agent-LTS[trj]
4. pagefile.sys         D:                                                           WIN32: startpage-216[trj]

can anyone help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: please help can't load windows xp
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »
Files into Chest are safe. Can't harm.
If you run a full avast scanning from this other computer, does it detect anything in the bad drive?
The best things in life are free.

sammieoteal

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
can not run avast scan on other computer, had to remove the hard drive and insert as slave in mine to try and find problem and this is what the full scan found

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:44:23 PM »
I doubt the problem is related to the files mentioned as they aren't active until the system is up and running and you aren't getting there or are you able to boot ?

If you weren't able to boot I would have thought it would be a problem with the MBR (Master Boot Record), if you are able to boot into command mode, does it recognise the drives ?

The C:\System Volume Information folder (or other drive letter, D:\, etc.) is a part of the system restore function and as such is protected by windows, the only really effective way to clean infected _restore points is to disable system restore and reboot. This will clear ALL _restore points. Once you have disabled system restore, reboot, scan your PC again and if clear enable system restore. This obviously won't work with this drive in a different computer,but avast should have been able to move it to the chest, etc.

We are seeing more detections on the pagefile.sys and I can't understand why as I thought that it was excluded from scans.
Add ?:\pagefile.sys to the exclusion lists as and when it is in the normal system (the ? is a wildcard so it works if you have the pagefile.sys in more than one drive):
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sammieoteal

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »
can get as far as
Verifying DMI Pool Data...................Update Success
boot from cd :
Boot from cd :

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (c) 1987-2000 Intel corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C)/RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.11 (001205)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C)/RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.11 (001205)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

This is what the last screen shows us
we have tried using the system disk and repairiing and get the error that windows can not find any hard drives on system
have also tried f8 for safe mode with no luck

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:13:31 PM by sammieoteal »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »
You won't get into safe mode as that too requires the system boots. You can try to interrupt the boot in the same way, but select command mode instead of safe mode, but I suspect that would possibly fail also.

It sounds more like a MBR problem, I suggest a google search for fixmbr this is a tool to repair/fix the MBR. Now I have never used this tool so I don't know how you would run it in a system that won't boot. Hopefully there will be something in the search results on where to get the fixmbr file and how to use it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security