Author Topic: How can I add a feature I did not install?  (Read 4913 times)

rdf3

How can I add a feature I did not install?
« on: February 22, 2005, 03:10:31 AM »
Hello all: I'm a first-day avast user and I prefer to have as little stuff as I need, so I did not install the Network Shield. (didn't exactly know what it did, honestly)

Is there anyway to add this feature? Or do I have to completely re-install? And if so, will that create any problems?

Thanks very much.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How can I add a feature I did not install?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 03:17:10 AM »
If you upgrade to the latest version (4.6.603) it is automaticly installed.

If you want to change (add/remove) providers you can do it in the control panel.
(add/remove > Avast > delete/change)

rdf3

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 03:25:12 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply :)

If I can just ask- I'm happy with the program so far, but I was looking at the site of av-comparatives. The last test, about 5 months ago, Avast was detecting viruses at about 93% while a few others were at near 99%. Is this a cause for concern?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 03:35:24 AM »
I was looking at the site of av-comparatives. The last test, about 5 months ago, Avast was detecting viruses at about 93% while a few others were at near 99%. Is this a cause for concern?
No not at all. This has been discussed on this board before.

Most of those tests are performed very badly.

eg: if a av software vendor advises to change a certain setting than it is not always done by the testers which make them conclude the software is 'bad'. Well imho they are wrong. Not reading the help files and expecting it to work right out of the box as they want (while every system/person is different) is wrong.

FYI:
Avast detects ALL ITW malware and more. If you like or if it is enough for you is something only you can decide.
I always say: Read the manual/help and get familiar witht he product before jumpin into conclusions ;)

rdf3

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 05:41:46 AM »
I don't mean to sound argumentative, but- one of their tests lists Avast at 0% for ITW samples. I've always been under the impression that most AV's barely detect any of these viruses.  And would a few settings changed really make much difference? I'm just worried because it makes you think that this program missed 7% of known viruses- which isn't terribly secure. But I'm relatively inexperienced with this stuff so I could be off on this one.

Anyways, I really appreciate the help.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 09:21:45 AM »
Detected 0% ItW? Where did you find this result?
Sounds like they forgot to turn on the program ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 12:37:06 PM »
You might want to look here, I know it might seem to be blowing avast's trumpet, but the awards are independent of avast.
http://www.avast.com/eng/awards.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rdf3

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 01:26:54 AM »
Thanks for the link and feedback. Just a final question, sorry:

If my Avast is constantly updated- is 93% just about the effectiveness it'll have against viruses? Or should I expect better/worse?

Once again- thank you. The forum itself permeates a lot of positivity about the product, and I'll be giving it a shot.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 09:08:33 AM »
The 93% score is taken from all samples, including both ItW and ZOO samples. ZOO samples are those that you're hardly going to ever see - they usually exist in virus labs only (never really made to the wild) (btw the same applies to biological viruses - only a small fraction of them is in the wild [but in this case, there are also other factors such as geographical location etc]).

Avast detects 100% ItW viruses, and a large number of ZOO viruses. The point is, you don't really have to care about ZOO viruses - they're here basically just to make antivirus testing more interesting... :)

BTW Andreas (the owner of that site) sometimes steps by at this forum, so maybe he could explain his testing methodology in a bit more detail...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.