Author Topic: tracking source of a problem  (Read 2479 times)

jgutsell

tracking source of a problem
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:21:55 PM »
 :-(  I have an unusual problem, and I don't know if it's related to Avast though I suspect so. I'm hoping this forum can help me diagnose the situation.
I have the Avast Home version running on a WinXP PC with a screen reader application that reads documents to me. I've had this application for nearly a year and lately it's beeen crashing a lot.
I've heard that screen readers generally have problems with antivirus programs, which think they are viruses.
Is there a way I can tell if Avast is doing something with this program (ZoomText)?  Some of the crashes seem to be when Avast is downloading the daily updates.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: tracking source of a problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
You can run ashSimp2.exe (the skinless application).

You can also add ZoomText to the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

jgutsell

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »
 ???  I was not able to identify where to start to follow your instructions. So I did the following:
In the System Tray, I right-clicked the Avast icon, then Program Settings > Exclusions > Browse and selected the \Program Files \ ZoomText folder. The Entry in the Exclusions list is just the folder with no file names or wildcards. Since creating this entry, ZT has not crashed, but I wonder if that is a coincidence. Is there a log in Avast that I could use to analyze any future crashes.
Jeff

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »
I was not able to identify where to start to follow your instructions.
Left click the 'a' blue icon...
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings...

In the System Tray, I right-clicked the Avast icon, then Program Settings > Exclusions > Browse and selected the \Program Files \ ZoomText folder. The Entry in the Exclusions list is just the folder with no file names or wildcards. Since creating this entry, ZT has not crashed, but I wonder if that is a coincidence. Is there a log in Avast that I could use to analyze any future crashes.
You've changed the on-demand scanning settings. I bet on a coincidence not in a solution. The Standard Shield exclusion should be more important and, after all, a more definitive workaround. The definitive solution should be not having any bad interaction with both programs. It's still a mystery for me why the program is crashing.
The best things in life are free.