Author Topic: How can I turn off Web Shield?  (Read 14225 times)

bodhica

How can I turn off Web Shield?
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:44:57 PM »
I have the free version of Avast 4.8. Web Shield is slowing my browsing to a crawl, and I want to turn it off. I have searched the program, its help contents, and this site looking for how to do this, but have only found the vague answer in the help section that: "The checkbox turns on/off the web scanning feature". What checkbox??? It's not in the program settings. Either I figure this out or I'm going to uninstall. PLEASE help...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: How can I turn off Web Shield?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
Hi bodhica,

Are you sure you wanna do this, because you will be unprotected against malicious code on website threatening your  machine. As an alternative you can use NoScript inside Firefox, and then click on the blue a go to Stop Service and stop it. But isn't there another reason for your browser slowing down to, Can you present us with a HJT logfile as an attached txt file to your next posting for us to analyze another cause of this. Download hjt from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/download/8571e06e5eb8ab03c649f3b5d647c599/

polonus
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:50:05 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:57:02 PM »
What is your browser ?
There are many reports that the latest firefox 3.5.0 & 3.5.1 are experiencing slow page loading and this is also reported on systems not even running avast.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
Hi DavidR,

Very instructive info regarding slow browser web page load after updating to Fx 3.5.1 here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1363135
The crux of the problem is more than likely a very extensive history cache and too many tabs/bookmarks open, av was not found to be adding to the problem.
If the problem persists with the browser running in SafeMode (without add-ons etc.) that is further proof of the indicated  cause of the problem,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

bodhica

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »
Thank you very much for your responses. I appreciate your alternative suggestions, but no one has yet answered my question. I'd presume some of you may be affiliated with Avast, and am beginning to become frustrated because it seems that the option to turn off this function has been well hidden, and that there is a general resistance to providing information to find it. This is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I appreciate this program so far, but am now beginning to question the integrity of it.

Can anyone please tell me how to turn off Web Shield?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 01:13:55 AM »
Thank you very much for your responses. I appreciate your alternative suggestions, but no one has yet answered my question. I'd presume some of you may be affiliated with Avast, and am beginning to become frustrated because it seems that the option to turn off this function has been well hidden
For sure not. We're here to try to help and not to make the things hidden.

and that there is a general resistance to providing information to find it.
David posted it... See the picture.

This is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I appreciate this program so far, but am now beginning to question the integrity of it.
We want avast working. Disabling WebShield will turn off one of the most important layer of defense. You shouldn't go this way, otherwise, it's good to have fully working.
The best things in life are free.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 01:27:12 AM »
that the option to turn off this function has been well hidden

The option to turn off the webshield is not even hidden.Perhaps if you have looked hard enough you would have find it.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:45:58 AM »
Thank you very much for your responses. I appreciate your alternative suggestions, but no one has yet answered my question. I'd presume some of you may be affiliated with Avast,

None of those that have answered are in any way affiliated other than we are avast users like yourself.

If you look at the image in my post (click to enlarge) in fact shows how to stop the web shield, this is from a right click on the 'a' icon, so you are three clicks away. When you click on the Stop Provider > Web Shield, you will be asked a question to Persist the changes, Yes means it is terminated even on the next boot and No it will start on the next boot.

and am beginning to become frustrated because it seems that the option to turn off this function has been well hidden, and that there is a general resistance to providing information to find it. This is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I appreciate this program so far, but am now beginning to question the integrity of it.

Can anyone please tell me how to turn off Web Shield?

We ask questions to get a better understanding of the problem and nothing else, all we want to do is help you get the best out of the protection avast gives. So when the questions aren't answered, we too get frustrated.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:49:38 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bodhica

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 02:25:38 AM »
Thanks David. I don't see any images in any of your posts, but I've followed the instructions you typed. Thank you all for taking the time to help me.

To any developers on here: this option was VERY unintuitively located for me, and I was unable to find the answer to this question using Help, or your online answer database. Perhaps this should be made clearer. Even in retrospect, it seems there should be some menu for this in the program options which makes access to Web Shield settings easier to find, versus this "stop provider" thing. I didn't know what a "provider" was, and it doesn't sound to me like it would refer to anything having to do with the Web Shield.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:27:37 AM by bodhica »

bodhica

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 02:36:27 AM »
Now 2 more issues have come up:

1) even though I disabled the Web Shield, I still have this ashWebSv.exe thing running, which is why I was trying to close Web Shield in the first place (I though this was the Web Shield). what is this program, and how can I close it? is this Avast itself? if so, any way to make it run smaller?

2) after I "stop" a "provider", I can't turn it back on. The "resume provider" menu is disabled, so I can't "resume" any "providers" I've "stopped".

hlecter

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:05:53 AM »
I can tell you how I always do it:

Left-click a-icon;
Show details at the next screen if not already done;
Select the webshield at the left and terminate/pause as you wish;
(terminating is by choosing terminate and persistant, yes)

Your webshield should be stopped and ashWebSv.exe too which is the service for the Webshield.

To turn it on:

Left-click a-icon;
Select webshield at the left and start it.
Persistant, yes if you want it turned on after next boot.

Your point 1: Turning Webshield off by this method stops ashWebSv.exe too.

Your point 2: I can reproduce your findings by following the steps earlier in this thread.

Like the other posters I have to advise you having the Webshield on as a first line of defence.  :)

Regards
HL
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:38:41 AM by hlecter »

bodhica

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »
Thank you for directing me to that screen! This is much easier to deal with.

However, even after turning off Web Shield, ashWebSv.exe is still running...

hlecter

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 03:44:04 AM »
Glad to hear that.

Well, the service should be stopped.

Have you checked that the service is set to Manual and not Automatic in your services.msc?

HL
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:46:21 AM by hlecter »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
The fact is, imho: you shouldn't disable WebShield. It's a drastic reduce of the protection level. Let's focus on the problem and not trying to get rid of the bitterness of the solution.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
I didn't know what a "provider" was, and it doesn't sound to me like it would refer to anything having to do with the Web Shield.
The name will change in avast 5 version from provider to shield.

However, even after turning off Web Shield, ashWebSv.exe is still running...
It's the service. It won't take resources if you stop the provider. To set another state for the service (disable) you need to turn of self defense module:
1. Right click the 'a' blue icon on system tray.
2. Programs settings > Troubleshooting (tab).
3. Disable self defense module.
4. Change the service status.
5. Enable self-defense module again.