Author Topic: Avast! 4 How long should initial scan take?  (Read 15612 times)

TRNCC

Avast! 4 How long should initial scan take?
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:12:38 PM »
I down loaded Avast! yesterday after trying to manually clean up a virus (I had pp10.exe, freddy46.exe, safeguard.exe on my computer). Found this product on CNET and installed and ran it - it has now been running for 19 1/2 hours and scanned 2,200 files - is this normal?? So far it has detected two files that have been infected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! 4 How long should initial scan take?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
I would say it isn't normal, but you don't say what type of scan you are doing, after installation avast offers to do a boot-time scan. Is it this scan that it is doing or is it an on-demand scan ?

Probably more importantly, have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TRNCC

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 07:51:46 PM »
This machine has an old version of Spybot on it - I don't think it is running - should I uninstall? I realize I sound like a complete dope. I just installed the standard Avant! Installation - Installed "providers" include: Instant messaging (which I don't have on this computer), Internet Mail, Network Shield (not sure if I need this, this desktop was used in an office at one point in time in has Novell client software on it), Outlook/Exchange (don't have it / use it), P2P Shield (not sure what it is?), Standard Shield & Web Shield. Should I be "terminating" certain providers? I just don't want to screw this up after running it for so long.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »
What is you operating system? Win95/2000, XP, Vista?

What is your hardware? CPU, hard disk size?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:33:44 PM »
I won't worry that much with the scanning time, but if you can get completely clean.
About the providers, I'll keep all of them. They don't take resources if you're not using them.

P2P is peer-to-peer provider, protecting any behavior of the supported programs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

Spybot used to be an useful program. Nowadays, I'll suggest MBAM instead. You can uninstall Spybot.
The best things in life are free.

TRNCC

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
I am running Windows XP, 2002 version - SP1 on a Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz, 1GB of RAM

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »
XP SP1 was rubbish- any reason you haven't updated to SP3, which is pretty much a rock-solid OS.

Is the scan still running, by the way?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Hard disk size? Free space?

TRNCC

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:56:01 AM »
HD space 37.1GB, used 10.4GB. Yes it is still running - 28 hours, 4,300 files scanned. No reason I have not upgraded, I guess I have not had a reason to at this point - this machine is basically just used for internet access and accessing a microsoft office file from time to time - thinking I should just reformat and start from scratch... will check in the morning to see if this program is still running!!

cinchez

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 05:03:28 AM »
Woah! Thats a long time to wait!

My full system scan takes about 30 mins...(219GB free out of 288GB)

Hope ull have better results sooner or later^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »
 15 minutes for complete scan of hard disk [10~11 GB]
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
Errm...is it just me but,

TRNCC hasn't actually answered DavidR's first questions
I would say it isn't normal, but you don't say what type of scan you are doing, after installation avast offers to do a boot-time scan. Is it this scan that it is doing or is it an on-demand scan ?

Probably more importantly, have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

It sounds to me like they are confusing the on-demand scanning ???
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:01:06 PM by spg SCOTT »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
Strange... too much time for the on-demand scanning to go.
We can guess only what David asked about a second antivirus present...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
Well TRNCC only reported spybot S&D installed and that really shouldn't be an issue.

However, it provokes the question of 'How long has TRNCC  been running without an AV installed and the system could potentially riddled with malware.

@ spg SCOTT
I don't believe TRNCC has confused resident with on-demand scanning, based only on his first post:
Quote from: TRNCC
Found this product on CNET and installed and ran it - it has now been running for 19 1/2 hours and scanned 2,200 files - is this normal?? So far it has detected two files that have been infected.

The highlighted text is what makes me fell he is actually running a scan of one form or another, though as you said that question hasn't been answered.

If however, he is confusing the two resident and on-demand that means avast has detected two resident running pieces of malware, which supports my theory that his system could be seriously compromised, that however, is supposition without answers to questions asked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »
Well TRNCC only reported spybot S&D installed and that really shouldn't be an issue.

However, it provokes the question of 'How long has TRNCC  been running without an AV installed and the system could potentially riddled with malware.

@ spg SCOTT
I don't believe TRNCC has confused resident with on-demand scanning, based only on his first post:
Quote from: TRNCC
Found this product on CNET and installed and ran it - it has now been running for 19 1/2 hours and scanned 2,200 files - is this normal?? So far it has detected two files that have been infected.

The highlighted text is what makes me fell he is actually running a scan of one form or another, though as you said that question hasn't been answered.

If however, he is confusing the two resident and on-demand that means avast has detected two resident running pieces of malware, which supports my theory that his system could be seriously compromised, that however, is supposition without answers to questions asked.

You could very well be right (your response makes more sense than my guess) It was the long scan time, and low scanned count that led me to that idea. (although now that I look at my picture I posted, it sorta contradicts what I thought)

We'll just have to wait and see ;)

-Scott-