Author Topic: Can't activate avast! shields.  (Read 12023 times)

Ash98

Can't activate avast! shields.
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »
I have avast 5.0 and I can't activate my shields, whenever i right click and click avast! shields control > enable all shields (7 disabled) it does nothing at all.  :'(

When I open the GUI, it says "The avast program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state. Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system." I click Start Program but again, nothing happens. I ran a scan with fully updated Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, SuperANTISpyware and ESET Online scanner but there was no infections. I also did a HiJackThis scan and there was nothing bad. I have tried to update avast! but it says failed to update.  ??? I chose "Disable shields until next restart because I was rendering a video with Sony Vegas, then I restarted my PC and it stopped working. Im experienced with editing registry etc. so don't hesitate to tell me a solution that involves more advanced stuff.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't activate avast! shields.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
Which was your old antivirus, before avast?

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

brickscratch

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:27:40 AM »
   ??? I have the same problem, and oh my god what have i done? I was perfectly happy with the way 4.8 home edition has been taking care of my system, but i loaded up AvastV.5 (from this months PC Utilities-UK Magazine).
 It immediately removed 4.8(quickly flashed up something about it being expired)and V5 wont perform.
Similar situation to Ash98- phrases like unsecured and inconsistent state aren't inspiring confidence.It has Nothing at all on the scan options.
The increase your protection buy purchasing product is a horrible reminder of previous experiences i've had and now to find from the forum there are uninstal problems, lists of step by step (Hopefully)fixes and high processor drain, I'm quite miffed!! I only have an old machine (AMD 1.4Ghz) I wonder if that's the problem?
 I managed to re-instal 4.8 from an old coverdisk,but i'm not sure if it's going to conflict or even If it is fully functioning anymore :'( :'(

BeeS

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:37 AM »
Ditto for me.  There is something very wrong with the 5 installer.
How do I get 4.5 back.  I want some protection!

brickscratch

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 06:25:59 AM »
I can't access my provider to see how much credit i have left, luckily Google chrome blocked it(Bad Certificate). I might be getting paranoid too ,but i couldn't get on to this forum , it wasn't recognising my password here!!!
got a horrible feeling my account has been hacked~I feel pretty hacked off myself.

Assi

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »
Ditto for me.  There is something very wrong with the 5 installer.
How do I get 4.5 back.  I want some protection!

Same here  >:(  I had this same problem this morning when i booted my PC.  ... it worked normally in the evening, so when you ask "what did you do before this happened" i could answer "i slept through the night".

Give us back the old and working version. Also, the new fancy looking interface ... sorry to say but it may be nice for people who like shiny candy look, like Vista/7 etc. but to me it looks just stupid. And yes, i disabled the "use graphical effects" but it didnt seem to do anything.

You should try something that Opera browser has for the Appearance/skin. For shiny look Opera Standard, but for simple look Windows Native.
What is with software designer anyway? Why everything has to be shiny and 3D nowadays?  ::)

brickscratch

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 04:54:37 PM »
  i've "tentativly" started up today and haven't found any problems (as yet),Full scan in the early hours etc,& all is ok but i'm beginning to wonder about the quality of PC Utilities quality control? I had problems before which i often put down to my machine being older, but a lot of the installers these days are dubious. On the next of my concerns is the file manager Q-Dir which had been on their coverdisk before- (i had found malware on it previously) so out of interest took a look at what was on offer this time,In for a penny,in for a pound. scanning it first before unzipping,warnings of garbage at end of file come so it's deleted.(It's not been on Cvrdisk fora while_hoped they'd sorted it)
  i haven't any help for Bee S sorry, just wish you luck finding an old copy(i have been fortunate keeping the old Coverdisk that4.8 was on(there must be something on a site?). Im not overly keen on that user interface but it has been simple & clear,(+SAFE) I also hate the way things are so "presentation" focused ,it has always been the way (I've been computing since the days of MSX),it drives the push to newer and higher demanding systems not all of us can afford. (or even want!)
  Hey, My eternal thanks to the mods and evangelist advisors on the forum,you must be busy people lately~ your work is always appreciated by us here!
   have noticed i've no desktop icon for avast4.8 ,but all seems to be functioning (For now)and the Bad certificate' hasn't been an issue I know I AM paranoid,but that's only coz they are out to get ya!
    if i do dissapear don't look for me guys ,in the words of Captain Oates " I may be some time"