Author Topic: How to disable avast self protection module  (Read 126204 times)

triforce777

How to disable avast self protection module
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
How Do I Disable the Self Protection Module. Also he uninstall utility will not open due to this self protection module

spg SCOTT

Re: How to disable avast self protection module
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:52:27 PM »
Hi triforce777,

To disable the avast! Self-defense module:

Right click avast! tray icon --> program settings -->'Troubleshooting' tab --> check- 'Disable avast! self-defense module'

You could also try the uninstall utility in safe mode.

-Scott-

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
hello triforce777,

before proceeding to disable self defense module, please tell us what you are trying to do.

what is making you to remove or uninstall avast.

may be we can help you.

triforce777

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »
Hi triforce777,

To disable the avast! Self-defense module:

Right click avast! tray icon --> program settings -->'Troubleshooting' tab --> check- 'Disable avast! self-defense module'

You could also try the uninstall utility in safe mode.

-Scott-

I do not see a selection for Program Setting when right clicking.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
What does avast! icon display when you hover the mouse pointer over it?

Mine displays:
avast! On-Access Scanner:5 provider(s) total, 5 running

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »

Mine displays:

Which provider didn't you install?
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »

Mine displays:

Which provider didn't you install?

P2P because I do not use P2P and Outlook as I do not have Outlook only Windows Live Mail on Win7 and Outlook Express on XP Pro but it has 6 with Script Blocking.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »
triforce777,

Are you sure it is the tray icon you are right clicking?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 04:09:25 PM »
How Do I Disable the Self Protection Module. Also he uninstall utility will not open due to this self protection module

Information only:

If you run the avast Uninstall Utility from windows Safe mode (as recommended when you run from normal mode) then there is no need to disable anything as by default avast doesn't run in safe mode.

Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

M1988

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 04:14:20 AM »
I'm in the same boat; I was informed by folks at the answers.windows.com website that I'd have to remove avast (haven't used it in over a year) since its presence on my computer, even in its dormant space, causes havoc with Windows Security Essentials, which can flip from a green 'fully protected mode' to a rust-colored 'potentially unprotected' mode, a sequence which will drive anybody nuts!!!

My computer also won't let me connect to the internet in 'safe mode' for some reason.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 04:58:10 AM »
Well I think it a little strange to open what is a dormant topic that is almost a year old. As is posting the same general question twice all that does is duplicate posts from those trying to help. So I suggest you stick with your other topic, which has already received replies. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60697.0

Avast isn't in a dormant state, it is a resident antivirus and as such will have low level drivers loaded and it is these that conflict.

This is why it isn't recommended to have two resident antivirus applications installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

M1988

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:29:07 AM »
I wasn't aware of that--thanks for educating me on where the conflict exists.

Since I'm new to this board, would you prefer that I start a new thread as opposed to placing my question on an open thread with relevance to my situtation, regardless of its age, since no one closed this thread?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »
No need to start a new topic, just continue with the other one that you have already.

No topics are closed, but they do warn that it is over 60 days old, etc. when you try to post. The reason for this is that avast versions change.

Also your question isn't really related to this subject as you don't have to disable the self defence module to uninstall avast using the windows control panel, add remove programs; you do if you try to run the uninstall utility (which has also changed in almost a year since this topic started) from windows normal mode.

Nor is it the self-defence module that creates any conflict, that is down to the low level drivers.

womble

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
where is thsi "troubleshooting" thing? when i right click on my avast icon in tray, it dose NOT have the trouble shoot option.
also (as i am trying to uninstall it, but it dosnt have an uninstaller) i tried disabling everything (permanently) but i still cant delete the avast program files folder either.

it wont update, it wont switch on, it wont inunstall, i can change to avast 7.. and I CANT GET RID OF IT!

am never using avast again.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »
You shouldn't rightclick the icon - but leftclick, to open the UI.