Author Topic: Updating Windows XP SP2 to SP3  (Read 25984 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Updating Windows XP SP2 to SP3
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
I've never had a problem using the download from that link. Using it on my computer now which is a new install in April.

No problem whatsoever in accessing the Windows Updates site. Did you allow the small install when you first went to Windows updates after installing SP3?

When I follow the link from HERE , I end up HERE . I can either use the link to go to Windows Updates or the Microsoft Download Center

Not really sure what MS was telling you, they may have been grasping at straws but

Download the latest Windows XP service pack from the Microsoft Download Center
If you have problems obtaining the service pack from Windows Update, you can download the stand-alone update package from the Download Center. This page will say that this installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers. However, you can safely download this file. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:18:19 PM by oldman »

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
Hmmm???  Well, since the computer in question is NOT MY computer, I can't afford any surprises of suddenly there being a Pterodactyl in the Ointment.  ;D I'd feel much more comfortable engaging in this SP2 to SP3 updating stunt if it was MY computer.  I wouldn't want to wind up in the situation of having destroyed their freshly-purchased computer.  Especially after having made a BIG deal of my brother-in-law's scumball daughter having destroyed my Dell GX270 and me wanting to strangle her.  ;D

Anyway, so far neither my brother-in-law nor my sister have called to inform me of any problems with their computer's functionality.
So, in this case, it's probably best to play it safe and take the approach of --- Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
IF in the future they do start experiencing problems that can't be fixed by regular means, THEN I'll have to roll up my sleeves and engage in the SP2 to SP3 update.  I'll of course inform them of the risk involved and that they can't hold me responsible if things get temporarily screwed up.  ;D
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
I've never had a problem using the download from that link. Using it on my computer now which is a new install in April.

No problem whatsoever in accessing the Windows Updates site.

Me neither, maybe we should ask, if it's a legit XP... ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
Obviously it is your choice, I'm just tossing out my experience with this. The risk you are now running is that SP2 is no longer supported and any vulnerabilities addressed with SP3 and patches released after SP3 will go unaddressed.

Depending on where this computer was purhesed from it may very well have a Volume version of windows on it. ie an old company computer. It may even have a pirated copy of windows. In either case I can see problems installing SP3.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »

No problem whatsoever in accessing the Windows Updates site. Did you allow the small install when you first went to Windows updates after installing SP3?

When I follow the link from HERE , I end up HERE . I can either use the link to go to Windows Updates or the Microsoft Download Center

Not really sure what MS was telling you, they may have been grasping at straws but

Iv never had to use that method of updating a system before so it could have been something i did wrong or a system glitch " who knows " but after reverting back and letting it update via windows update it's all good  :)

Yes it's definitely a legit system Asyn  :)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
@craigb,

Iv never had to use that method of updating a system before so it could have been something i did wrong or a system glitch " who knows
As mentioned earlier one of the problems installing SP3 is AV interference. That may have been the problem in your case.

Glad you got it sorted.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »

Good. :)
Still, I can confirm what oldman said, as I also use this download, if needed.
Never had any problems with it.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 07:11:14 PM »

Good. :)
Still, I can confirm what oldman said, as I also use this download, if needed.
Never had any problems with it.
At least i know now the link is fine for if i need it in the future, "oldman" it could have been the AV interfering somehow - Outpost security suite was what they had installed and all i changed on it was setting the firewall to auto learn, now i know to turn it of also Thanks :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:12:46 PM by craigb »

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »
Oh, I do appreciate your Info / advice, oldman.  Thanks!
I'm VERY tempted to pull the trigger and just do it.  I'd certainly want to have that computer be completely up to date with SP3.
And who knows?  I may yet do it, albeit not necessarily this week or this month.
For sure I have bookmarked that site.

I first have to look into that Drive Imaging thing that I inquired about in another thread.
Cuz I wouldn't want to be operating without a safety net ... and as it stands right now, operating without a safety net is exactly what I'd be doing what with no Windows XP CD or System Recovery CDs.

I'm off to go check out that thread with the FREE Drive Imaging Apps Recommendations.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000