Author Topic: Avast modifying web page actions?  (Read 2152 times)

IanWorthington

Avast modifying web page actions?
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that avast intercepts and scans all html code before passing it on to the browser?  If so, might it modify it to remove things it feels are suspicious, and if so, is that activity logged anywhere?

Occasionally I have web pages where a button will appear to do nothing.  This seems to happen when the button links to a different  site and is repeatable in Chrome, FF, and IE on my main W7 desktop, and also on my W98 laptop, both of which run Avast AV.

Sites seem fine for other people.

Could Avast be disabling these buttons?

i

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast modifying web page actions?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »
Ofcourse avast is checking the html (and other code), or it would not be able to to block malicious code.

avast is not modifying a site.

Offline Cast

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:21:23 PM »
Well it could be if you are using the browser protection in those browswers. Avast Online Security (AOS or otherwise known as Browser Protection within the removable features tab) does block somethings on sites, Trackers, Social Media, Ads, and other elements if enable the last one.

Mark12547

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
If your browsers have Avast! Online Security (AOS) add-on installed, try disabling that add-on to see if that changes the behavior. I have found that both AOS and AdBlock Plus (another add-on one can get for selected browsers to block advertisements) can kill some links if those links first link to advertisements, which can be problematic if a site forces you to go through an advertisement before seeing real content.