Author Topic: Avast versions 5.0 and 6.0 are causing BSOD crashes.  (Read 3611 times)

fluffypeppercat

Avast versions 5.0 and 6.0 are causing BSOD crashes.
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
I have Windows XP Pro, SP2 and there seems to be a conflict or compatibility problem with Avast.  About a year ago, after updating to the current version at that time, I began to have BSOD crashes.  After program update 5.0, and now 6.0, the BSOD crashes are occuring on a daily basis - on startup and 2 or 3 times during the day. I have tested my computer & the problem is definitely Avast - some of the errors are caused by the following modules: 
Module:  aswmon2.sys:  (NOTE:  This module seems to be the main culprit)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
description: avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP
Module:  aswsp.sys
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
description: avast! self protection module

The above information has been taken from the minidump using a program called "Who Crashed".  I was wondering if any other members who have some version of Windows XP has been having BSOD crashes and if so, how can we make Avast aware of this problem?   :(

doktornotor

Re: Avast versions 5.0 and 6.0 are causing BSOD crashes.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »
Please list all other security software you have installed.

Also - XP SP2 has been unsupported since last June or so, you are missing critical security updates by not installing SP3.  ::)

fluffypeppercat

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:10:18 AM »
Thanks for your reply doktornotor.  My other security software are the current versions of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware & SUPERAntiSpyware.  I have not installed SP3 because I am concerned that it will mess up my computer.  I know of other XP users who have installed SP3 that have had major crashes that they could not recover from and they were forced to reinstall Windows XP.  I have had a few Microsoft updates in the past that have really messed up my computer (that, with a lot of work, I was able to recover from).  I stopped the automatic updates and then started to manually download any critical updates - I have all of the critical updates up to the cutoff time in July when after that you had to have SP3 for further updates (except for installing IE8, I have IE7).  I should also tell you that I am using dial-up (I live on a fixed income) and that is another reason that I stopped the automatic updates and did them manually by visiting the Microsoft Update page on a regular basis.  I believe that my dial-up connection may have played a role when my computer had problems because of large updates.

I would also like to mention that this is my first time on a forum and I just tried to report myself when I was trying to reply to your post, duh!  ???  

By the way, I was trying to modify this post and used "quote" instead - can I delete this quote?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:21:04 AM by fluffypeppercat »

fluffypeppercat

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »
Sorry, I made a mistake - no quote.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:21:29 AM by fluffypeppercat »

fluffypeppercat

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:17 AM »
Please list all other security software you have installed.

Also - XP SP2 has been unsupported since last June or so, you are missing critical security updates by not installing SP3.  ::)

Update:
I just had another BSOD crash.  The following information if from my "Who Crashed" report:
On Sun 3/27/2011 10:15:52 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: aswsp.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xC4E651CF, 0x0, 0xC4E651CF, 0x0)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini032711-02.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswsp.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! self protection module

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
i would suggest you uninstall avast with the uninstall tool from avast. reboot, run a registry cleaner to clean left over keys of avast. with tools like ccleaner. Download the latest version of avast install that registry the program for 12 months of license key.

good luck
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM