Author Topic: Firewall Wont Turn on  (Read 9465 times)

wingzero_ac19x

Firewall Wont Turn on
« on: February 07, 2010, 03:09:30 AM »
    I purchased Avast! Security Suite the other day and am in the process of installing it on my systems. On my 32 bit Vista system, everything went fine. However, when I installed it onto my brothers 64 bit Vista system, the firewall would not activate. Everything else is functional in Avast including the updates feature, but the firewall is not running and the buttons do not activate it.
The specs on the system are:
OS: Vista Premium 64 bit (Service pack 2 and all updates installed)
6 GB of DDR2 memory
750 GB HDD
AMD Phenom Quad (2.2 GHz)
Nvidia GTS 250 graphics card
OCZ 600 watt power supply
Asus TV tuner

Avast info:
Version: 5.0.396
Virus definitions: 100206-2

I have done some basic troubleshooting already, including using the avast removal tool followed by a registry and temp file cleaning before reinstallation. I have also checked windows firewall which is still functional and have tried to turn on AVAST firewall with windows firewall on and off. I read somewhere that Avast firewall requires windows firewall to function, but so far it has not made a difference on this problem. I have run Hijack this on the computer and sent the log file to Avast, but I am trying to get the firewall up and going ASAP. An interesting note: I did a comparison between the services running on my system and the ones on my brothers. My system shows the firewall service listed, his does not (under msconfig). However, his does list the firewall under device manager when you "show all hidden devices". It is really confusing. The only thing I can figure is it is a 64 bit incompatibility, but I read that Avast 5.0 is compatible with all Vista and 7 versions. There are no other security suites except for malware bytes and spybot s&d, but they are both the free versions so no active monitoring so there should be no conflict. Anyways, Sorry for the long post, and I hope that someone can help with this. Thanks all for your time!!

Oh, one more thing: Has anyone had any issue with DPC cpu usage staying about 10-15 percent after hibernation with Avast installed? Never had this issue before this software. (I Have tried troubleshooting all hardware and drivers, no luck) Thanks again!!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Firewall Wont Turn on
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
I'm indulging in a bit of guesswork, rather than knowledgeable troubleshooting here, but is the S&D Teatimer turned off?
Maybe it could interfere.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

wingzero_ac19x

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
Thanks for the response. Tea timer is turned off on his computer. I haven't been able to figure anything else out. Anyone else have any ideas?

Turto

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »
I have the same problem.  Bought a new 64 bit laptop, loaded up avast 5, registered it using my licence key, this will be my 3rd computer I am using avast on, and can't get the firewall to start.  Everything else is ok.  Tried a few things but no go.  So, might have to pester avast for answers, but will keep an eye here too.
Steve

wingzero_ac19x

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 03:50:48 PM »
Okay, I finally got it up and running last night. I dont really know why it worked this time and not the others but here is what I did and hopefully it will help everyone else with this issue. Download the Avast removal tool from the Avast website. Restart the computer and press F8 repeatedly at bios until the option for safe mode pops up. Log into safe mode and run the avast removal tool. When it is complete, restart the computer and log into your administrator account. Before attempting the install of Avast again, make sure the Alwil software folder is gone from your program files (if not, delete it), run a registry scan with any tool of your choosing (CCleaner, COMODO Registry Cleaner, etc.) then make sure you have the newest Avast internet security install file and begin the fresh installation. Hopefully this will work for everyone. I know it is basically the instructions that they give with the removal tool, but there are a couple of extra steps and I figured I would list them out for everyone here. At any rate, I hope this helps!!! Thanks everyone for your attempts to solve this issue.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »
Strange. But good result, glad this worked.

In the interests of helping others with this problem, did you happen to notice, or better yet, record, the reg keys that were found and removed with the registry scan you used?

If you can post it/them, it may be a pointer for someone.

wingzero_ac19x

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:03:45 PM »
Sadly, I did not record the registry files found. The attempt I made last night to fix it was one out of desperation and frustration and it just happened to work. Hopefully the steps will prove successful for others with this problem and if I happen to run into this problem again, I will make sure to note the registry keys.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
OK, thanks for posting back.

Hally

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Hi Tarq57  :)

Strange. But good result, glad this worked.

In the interests of helping others with this problem, did you happen to notice, or better yet, record, the reg keys that were found and removed with the registry scan you used?

If you can post it/them, it may be a pointer for someone.

When I uninstalled Avast 4.8 from my Laptop last week - & - Ran the Avast Uninstall Utility from Safe Mode.
I Also... Still had to remove ( Delete ) the Alwil Folder from Program Files  :(
However... CCleaner showed absolutly No Trace of  Avast/Alwil left in the Registry.

Then yesterday I uninstalled Avast 4.8 from my Desktop - & - Ran the Avast Uninstall Utility from Safe Mode.
Again... Still had to remove ( Delete ) the Alwil Folder from Program Files.
But Also... CCleaner found 3 or 4 Avast/Alwil Reg Keys  :o
Sorry!
Don't remember what they were  :-[

............... Laptop v Desktop
Make ............ HP ............. HP
.......... Vista HP 32bit ... Vista HP 32bit
Users ............ 1 ................ 2
WLM ............ No .............. Yes

Re: Desktop - & - WLM
Today! .. 24 hours after uninstalling Avast 4.8
I still had to tell Windows Live Messenger.. NOT to Scan using Avast 4.8  ::)
Something people might want to remember when going from.. Avast 4.8 - To - Avast 5  ;)

Hally

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:53:58 PM by Hally »

avasttt

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
somebody helpp me. avast firewall wont work! please help me