Author Topic: Win32:Hupigon-OAM [Drp]  (Read 6703 times)

Zodiac

Win32:Hupigon-OAM [Drp]
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:43:42 AM »
Hello,

Long time Avast user here, first time encountering a major issue, I did a scan today (to my own stupidity for putting one off for a few months) and a "dropper" popped up called "Win32:Hupigon-OAM [Drp]" now when I clicked move to chest it it gives me not enough space on disk error when my hard drive has like 20 gigs of space left (its a small 80 gig hard drive), so a couple questions

1. Whats a Dropper?
2.  How can I move it to my chest (the chest is empty right now)
3. If I cant then should I try to delete it (I'm worried because its in C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP)

Jtaylor83

Re: Win32:Hupigon-OAM [Drp]
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:01:49 AM »
1. A dropper (trojan dropper) is a malware component that drops a trojan into the infected system.

2. Max the file size to 1024 MB. Set the chest limit to 0 because there is no limit

3. That memory dump file (C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP) was created after Windows crashed due to the Hupigon infection.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:12:47 AM »
1. A dropper (trojan dropper) is a malware component that drops a trojan into the infected system.

2. Max the file size to 1024 MB. Set the chest limit to 0 because there is no limit

3. That memory dump file (C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP) was created after Windows crashed due to the Hupigon infection.

Maybe.

If there's no sign of Hupigon elsewhere, it could just be a false positive in the .dmp file.

Zodiac, run CCleaner (this will get rid of memory dump files).

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then try a boot time scan with avast! Right click the scanner screen, select 'schedule a boot time scan' and reboot when requested. (Or open the tab at the top left of the scanner screen and select the boot time option from there.)
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
- The memory.dmp file is created when your system crashes it contains what is in memory at the time of the crash, which could have contained malware. It could be as large as your memory so may not be allowed to send to the chest without changing the settings.

If you have the tools and experience you can examine this file to help discover why the crash happened, if you don't have this experience and tools, it is worthless to you. The older the file is the less worth it is also.

If windows were to crash again then it would create a new memory.dmp file if one wasn't present or replace any existing one. So there really is no downside to deleting this memory.dmp file (as suggested by FWF).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zodiac

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:58:56 AM »
alrighty It's been removed and nothing else is being detected, thanks for the help every one

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:13:53 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security