Author Topic: dealSpy adware after download software from CNET downloads (download.com)  (Read 2945 times)

pj20218

I was intended to download daemon tool lite from download.com and after installation there is annoying ads that pop up which I coudn stop.  I have follow the instruction to remove it from control panel.  I have also tried from chrome/tool/extension/ but it does not seem to work.  The ads from deal spy are still continue to pop up as always.

I need support and help

Information about deal Spy:

DealSpy is publicly distributed on a variety of websites, especially CNET downloads (download.com) who are notorious for infecting computers with privacy invading malware such as adware, browser hijackers. DealSpy entraps victims to unethical terms who willingly install the Deal Spy add-on and extension.

The Deal-Spy add-on and extension may also bundle alongside third-party software and browser attachments such as Certified Toolbar (and other add-ons/extensions previously mentioned), or bundle inside another application. Meaning you may experience Deal Spy ads but have another (third-party) browser attachment present.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
run AdwCleaner and click delete, post log here
run quick scan with Malwarebytes, click remove selected, post log

tools are found here. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

did that solve your case?

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
Follow steps provided by Pondus.
Don't use download.com download button.Use Direct download link if there is one.
I am using this userscript - http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/111137
It disables CNET downloader.It says that script is retired but it still works.

horobinR

MyWOT has many people reporting malware from CNET.COM and other CBS-owned download sites.  AVAST should not use CNET.COM any more.  In particular, AVAST opened CNET.COM to get a JAVA upgrade, when it should have gone to JAVA.COM.

Could AVAST use more appropriate sites, please.

techlike99

Makes sense, however, all Java downloads on Cnet are safe. You won't get any toolbars or adware from the most popular downloads. I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but Cnet installer comes up only for less popular downloads.